Illustrator and SCAL

For your help and questions
customcreations11

Illustrator and SCAL

Post by customcreations11 »

Hi,

I am new to SCAL, (I actually don't have it yet, but pretty sure I'm getting it for Christmas) ;) I downloaded the trial version and Im trying to use illustrator to create some svg files. I've searched through the posts and I still can't find a solution to my problem....After I created my image in Illustrator, I saved it as a svg file. I then imported into SCAL and all I get is an empty red box w/ the controls on it. Is this because I only have the trial version or did I save it wrong? Is it easier to just open the file in inkscape first? Can someone help me or point me in the direction of a tutorial using illustrator?

Thanks!!!

Nicole
DigitalCris

Re: Illustrator and SCAL

Post by DigitalCris »

I have the same problem! When saving as an SVG file should I click any specific options?

:?
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

When I save an SVG file in Illustrator, I get an SVG options box. For Fonts:Subsetting, I choose None, (Use System Fonts). For Images:Location, I choose Embed. I uncheck the Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities box. Hope this helps.
Todd
DigitalCris

Post by DigitalCris »

Thanks for that suggestion! I'm trying it right now. I have another question....I created a pattern of a couch in Illustrator. The different pieces are in different layers so I can send to cut on different colored cardstock, but I use Craft Robo and don't use SVG files. With SVG files do I have to save a separate SVG file for each layer? Or will SCAL read the separate layers in the SVG file? Thanks in advance!
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

As of right now, there isn't a way to hide items that you don't want to cut in SCAL. It has been suggested and will probably show up in an Update sometime in the future. Whatever is on the page is going to cut.
Todd
DigitalCris

Post by DigitalCris »

Ok! Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll save separate files for each layer.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

You will want to make a note of the original sizes. When you import them into SCAL, the sizes might change.
Todd