ecal crashes when I click print2cut icon

For your help and questions
dmeclips

ecal crashes when I click print2cut icon

Post by dmeclips »

I've imported an svg file that I created from a jpg in Inkscape. When I click the print2cut icon the program freezes. Can you tell me the things I could try to get this feature to run without freezing up the program? Thanks. Dianne
Attachments
187.svg
(37.62 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
papasue

Re: ecal crashes when I click print2cut icon

Post by papasue »

Hi, I opened your file in Inkscape and it looks ok. I imported it into eCal and again looks ok.

What do you want to p2c? Are you going to print the design and make a mat to cut around it. What is the size you are trying to p2c. I didn't try to "cut" as the detail is very fine but if you are really trying to cut out all that detail, then I'll give it a try.

We need more information to help you finish this lovely design.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

Thank you, Susan, for replying to my question so quickly!

My goal is to print the image including the register marks on my printer then put that printed image in the eclips cutter and cut around it.

I'm guessing this might be similar to the method used for the new Tim Holtz Alterations Stamp2Cut cartridges Sizzix is selling. You stamp the image with the Stampers Anonymous rubber stamp onto your paper then feed paper with the stamped image into the eclips. You then mark the registration points on the stamped image paper and tell the eclips to cut it out.

The only problem is that I prefer to use images other than Tim Holtz's stamp. (This image is from Dover Digital Design Source-Vintage Mortised Cuts. In the future I would like to find my own vintage images.)

I want the image to be cut the way it looks and I don't know how much detail that would take with points as I have never cut my own image. I would like it to be about 3" high but anywhere in the ballpark would be fine. If it has the hole cut out and is a mat that would be okay and if not that would be fine too. I just would like to get it to print and cut.

I'm not sure of the steps and terminology but that's my best understanding of what I want to do.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Dianne

papasue wrote:Hi, I opened your file in Inkscape and it looks ok. I imported it into eCal and again looks ok.

What do you want to p2c? Are you going to print the design and make a mat to cut around it. What is the size you are trying to p2c. I didn't try to "cut" as the detail is very fine but if you are really trying to cut out all that detail, then I'll give it a try.

We need more information to help you finish this lovely design.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Did you have your eclips plugged in and powered up? I've found that I have to have my eclips hooked up to my computer and turned on or I can't send the file to the printer. I'm going to put something in the Wish List about this.
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

Thanks for the suggestion, Heather.

I tried p2c with the eclips on and the program still becomes unresponsive. I appreciate the input though. Thanks for trying to help.
Dianne
P.S.
Nice images on your blog especially the wedding couple. I'm going to go back and look at some of your tutorials. Maybe something there will help.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

A future version of eCal will have the ability to print without being hooked up to the cutter. It has not been released yet, but it is my understanding it will be coming. There may be some other new features along with that, but I don't know what they might be.

On the issue with this file, not sure why things are freezing up. I had no problem bringing it into eCal and I printed it with registration marks...no problem as you can see from the picture.

Do you have the version 1.003 of eCal?
Attachments
Photo on 2012-05-15 at 20.jpg
Photo on 2012-05-15 at 20.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
Sandy in PA
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

Sandy, I'm very jealous...

I have version 1.0002. When I click the Help menu then "Check for Updates" it gives a dialogue box that says "no updates available at this time."

So maybe the issue is my version or my preferences? Not sure how to update if it says none are available.

Thanks for your input...and for showing it is actually printable.
Dianne.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Let me check out why I have 1.003. I have to go back in my memory.
Sandy in PA
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

Yes, plugged in and powered up. :D
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

I was finally able to use Print2Cut yesterday.

It seemed that there was a Windows update and an Adobe Flash update running at the same time I was trying to print. The memory usage was very high. I stopped both these and had no problem printing and cutting after that (and will manually update Windows on Wednesdays).

Now I just have to figure out how not to cut around every tiny circle and detail in the border. I think I'll duplicate the layer, delete the image but save the registration marks in the duplicate layer and trace around the original layer to create a smooth path from which to cut. Maybe that will work. Now I'm thinking I should do that in Illustrator first but will search the forums here. Some one else has probably discussed this.

Thanks to all you nice users who took the time to help. I really appreciate it.
Dianne.