Renesis SVG Viewer on Windows 7

For your help and questions
scraphappy7

Renesis SVG Viewer on Windows 7

Post by scraphappy7 »

After Googling for an update to the Renesis SVG Viewer and finding it is no longer being supported and is not compatible with Windows 7, I figured out a fix.

First, you have to have Windows 7 Professional. Home Premium won't cut it. Go to Amazon.com (or other locale) and pay the $80 or so for the unlock code. Every PC sold with Windows 7 Home Premium has Professional included but you need to pay for the unlock code.

Once you have updated to Professional, which takes mere minutes, go to Microsoft and download the Virtual XP mode (it is actually free). Set that up so you can run older programs on it, including the Renesis Player.

The bad news is that you have to be in XP mode to view the SVGs in Windows Explorer. But, you could also just install your cut programs in XP mode as well. I had to install my BRAND NEW $1500 embroidery software in XP mode because my old XP PC decided to give up the ghost. Can you believe the embroidery software isn't compatible?????

I probably won't be back to answer questions but since I was looking all over for a solution and saw all the questions on this forum, I thought I'd post this message. And heck, if I can figure it out, so can you.

forgot to mention, the program for the renesis viewer is called Player-WinExplorer.msi

If you find your old copy of it, be on the XP mode, copy it to some folder that you will remember. Go to that folder and double click it. It will install into the XP mode's "shell". It's not an actual "program".
Louise-Paisley

Re: Renesis SVG Viewer on Windows 7

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Alternatively buy Mystic Thumbs for $25 and use that instead of renesis on windows 7 including 64 bit and save yourself $55 and a lot of work ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

Louise - Thank you for this info! I keep praying that my desktop with XP will last forever because I have all of my crafty stuff and the Renesis viewer. It's like the developers fell off the face of the earth. I even tried to contact them awhile back, but never received a reply. If Mystic Thumbs works as well as the Renesis viewer, it will be worth every penny of the $25.

I have a question about Inkscape, Renesis and XP. I'm still using Inkscape .46 because if I update, I can no longer see the svg images. Is there something I can do to correct this?
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

pastda3 wrote:Louise - Thank you for this info! I keep praying that my desktop with XP will last forever because I have all of my crafty stuff and the Renesis viewer. It's like the developers fell off the face of the earth. I even tried to contact them awhile back, but never received a reply. If Mystic Thumbs works as well as the Renesis viewer, it will be worth every penny of the $25.

I have a question about Inkscape, Renesis and XP. I'm still using Inkscape .46 because if I update, I can no longer see the svg images. Is there something I can do to correct this?
Sorry I cannot help, I have win7 64bit so don't use renesis.

However, mystic thumbs has a free trial period I think so you see if that works ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial