Stencil Material

For your help and questions
wvcathy

Stencil Material

Post by wvcathy »

Can the cricut deep cut cut thru stencil material - and is the blank stencil material available to purchase ?? Or is there a better solution to making your own stencils

Regards,

Cathy
gj1

Re: Stencil Material

Post by gj1 »

It depends on what you want the stencil for.

There is a lot that comes up in the 'search' for places to purchase.

I use plastic kitchen cutting mats from WM, or dollar store...you can also get stencil material in the stationary art section at WM.
I have also used cerial box cardboard.

For the plastic I use a deepcut blade and housing...depth and pressure depends on how old the blade is. I always multicut several time.

Hope this helps.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

wvcathy wrote:Can the cricut deep cut cut thru stencil material - and is the blank stencil material available to purchase ?? Or is there a better solution to making your own stencils

Regards,

Cathy
I quilt and know that you can buy stencil material in sheets at fabric stores in the quilting notions section. As for will the Cricut cut it? Unsure, haven't tried that before
Good luck
Grammy :)
wvcathy

Post by wvcathy »

Thanks - making a stencil to paint a saying on wood - I have used the vinyl before but sometimes it bleeds along edges - but I guess the same would be true even if you were using the stencil material..... If anyone has any hints to help prevent bleeding with the vinyl would appreciate that too.

Thanks again,

Cathy
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

If you are brushing it on be sure to be pulling your paint into the letter from the edges.
That is about all I got, hope it helps in some way
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

i would use vinyl and "dab" it on - NOT brush.
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
ohjenny

Post by ohjenny »

Oooh finally a post I might be able to help with :D

I'm doing a stencil right now for my baby daughter's wall - http://i.imgur.com/NrjYt.jpg http://i.imgur.com/1tyrC.jpg The first image is the outline of the stencil, the second is how it should look after it's painted. Her walls are a silvery taupe and the stencil will be white.

At any rate, All I'm using, are large sheets of cardstock weight paper! I got a package of 5 sheets, Canson 140 lb. 18" x 24" at Michael's Crafts. 40% off coupon, so approx. $6.00. Then you spray the entire back of your 'stencil' after it's been cut (I have an Expression with the last available upgrade of SCAL) with repositionable adhesive.

I'm using Krylon Easy Tack... I've also used it in the past on regular old card stock, to affix the paper to the wall like vinyl. I actually think it looks better than vinyl! I did my little guy's bedroom when he was born over 2 years ago with a Pottery Barn monkey design I copied from his sheets, it still looks fantastic, hasn't budged.

Next the stencil for daughter's room is getting painted with Martha Stewart's new craft paints (at Michaels)- they're $1.99 a bottle (Google it, the paint is awesome and you can use it on all surfaces) But the most important part is the 'brush'. Martha Stewart foam pouncers : http://www.plaidonline.com/martha-stewa ... 3/item.htm These are also at Michael's for $4.99 - use those coupons! I know other craft brands make foam stencil pouncers, but they cost the same and hers are prettier ; )

I already tested this whole method out and it worked perfectly. I'm sure there are ways that it could get screwed up - for example, if you put on a ton of paint and got the paper super wet it might rip... but I just used enough paint to cover the pouncer and worked it on - you just sort of pat it against the surface.

OK, good luck and I hope you find something that really works well for you!
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Wow...not only do you give a good explanation of the procedure, but you provided links too. This is what makes this forum great.

Thank you.
Sandy in PA