Help with Cameo and SCAL

For your help and questions
Tine

Help with Cameo and SCAL

Post by Tine »

I just got the Cameo this past week. I've been using my Cricut to cut with SCAL 2 and wanted to do a side by side comparison before upgrading to SCAL 3.
I can't seem to cut with SCAL 2 though. It says I have to choose my Cameo from the Printer selection screen but when it pop's up my Cameo isn't listed. I tried calling Silhouette America and was told it's because the Cameo doesn't work with SCAL 3.

Can someone please help me and tell me how to cut with my Cameo from SCAL 2?

Thanks so so much!
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Re: Help with Cameo and SCAL

Post by DogCarbon »

SCAL 3 is a free upgrade. SCAL3 is also a seperate installation from SCAL2, what that means is that you can have BOTH 2 and 3 on your computer and BOTH will work, SCAL 2 with a Cricut product, and 3 with your Cameo.

Silhouette America doesn't want to admit that SCAL 3 will work with their product because they have their own software upgrade that they want you to use ( and purchase, more $$$). And Sil doesn't provide any support the SCAL product, a third party software.
Tine

Post by Tine »

But I can't even get the silhouette to allow me to cut from SCAL, it doesn't show up at all.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Make sure the silhouette software is not open at the same time. It does cause a conflict.
Sandy in PA
Tine

Post by Tine »

I don't have both software open. I have the Graphtec driver installed but now when I try to cut nothing happens - I get a quick flash message on my Cameo that says working and then nothing. So frustrating :(
Tine

Post by Tine »

Got it! Wow what a difference in the exact same cuts from the Cameo and the Cricut! The Cameo's cut is pristine!!!!!
ruthrnld@yahoo.com

Post by ruthrnld@yahoo.com »

I'm having the same problem as you were! But I"m not to the "got it" point...what did you do to get it to cut?
ruthrnld@yahoo.com

Post by ruthrnld@yahoo.com »

Now I got it to cut! Magic. Now if I can just get to cut where I think it will!
lovemycatkellar

Post by lovemycatkellar »

I am thinking about a cameo but worried about them not wanting third party software involved. I have a circuit about to be sold bc of that whole mess. I want SCAL but don't want to pay out money on it and a new cutter and in a few yrs not be able to use them together.

Advice?

Thanks, melody
Melody from Alabama
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

True, Silhouette does not authorize the use of third party software with the Cameo, but the do have their own program that allows you the use of .svg's. It's just not as advanced as SCAL or MTC. So, in the future, if Silhouette does pull the plug on third party, you at least can still cut what you want. If you already own SCAL 2, an upgrade to SCAL 3 is free, so you aren't losing out. If you are really worried about it, go with the Eclips, since it is affiliated directly with SCAL. From the reviews, the Cameo and Eclipse are in the same ballpark when it comes to cutting abilities and price. You could always go with something like Pazzles, which also authorizes third party, as well as their own software, but the cutting abilities are the same as the Cricut and it is more expensive than the Cameo and Eclips. I hope this helps!