Cuttlebug vs. Cricut

For your help and questions
paperflowers

Cuttlebug vs. Cricut

Post by paperflowers »

I would like to know why ProvoCraft can encourage CUTTLEBUG owners to use other manufacter's dies and embossing folders (Sizzix, Spellbinder etc.) On the Cuttlebug box it states 'works with other leading manufacter's dies'. Provocraft even educates its customers on the proper 'sandwich' for these other brands!

If I can use a Spellbinder die in a Cuttlebug; then why can't I use SCAL on Cricut?
jennifer mcquillan
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada Using Scal2, Inkscape .47, Vista

Re: Cuttlebug vs. Cricut

Post by jennifer mcquillan »

Good point.
cropgal

Post by cropgal »

I fully agree with you.
hkvalerio
Location: { Cali } Windows XP, Inkscape .48, SCAL2, Microsoft Digital Image Pro

Post by hkvalerio »

I never thought about that. Great point!
Heather
henryandhoney

Post by henryandhoney »

I agree. I personally don't think the Cuttlebug actually works as well as a Sizzix with Sizzix dies. However, it is better than having to buy a new machine for all these die cuts that come out.
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

paperflowers wrote:I would like to know why ProvoCraft can encourage CUTTLEBUG owners to use other manufacter's dies and embossing folders (Sizzix, Spellbinder etc.) On the Cuttlebug box it states 'works with other leading manufacter's dies'. Provocraft even educates its customers on the proper 'sandwich' for these other brands!

If I can use a Spellbinder die in a Cuttlebug; then why can't I use SCAL on Cricut?

You're brilliant!
SCAL 2 (cricut), SCAL 3 (Black Cat 15"), Windows 10
KateM

Post by KateM »

Maybe Spellbinder should sue PC for advertising, promoting and allowing their customers to use their dies in the Cuttlebug.
susibi

Post by susibi »

I don't think this is quite the same thing, really. Encouraging people to buy the CB because it works with third party dies is a marketing strategy - having one machine which will cut different makes of die is a much more attractive product than one which limits you to just dies from that manufacturer. If you compare the various makes of manual die cutters they are all much of a muchness as far as mecchanisms go .. no great secrets there , no software just rollers and the openings are more or less the same height ( except GranCalibur which won't cut Sizzix thick dies).. the problem arises when there is software involved. What PC basically is saying to both companies which manufacture the software programs is: you are producing software made by using our code and we've not given you permission etc etc
While PC are quite within their rights to protect their coding it all seems so amazingly short sighted and commercially suicidal.
Personally if I'd had the misfortune to work for PC and possessed even half a brain, after seeing the great support these programs enjoyed and reading about the numer of crafters who'd bought machines only because these programs finally gave them freedom of choice, a tiny weeny suspicion that maybe they'd got it right might have weedled its way into my mind. I'd have been more inclined to get the software developers on my side and collaborate with them seeing as they seemed to have understood my consumers better than I did by providing them with the type of program they'd be asking for, rather than taking the line they've taken and alienating a good few customers or would be customers in the process....