Layers?

For your help and questions
Laurieinaz

Layers?

Post by Laurieinaz »

Jancy ... I know you're out there.
How do you add layers in Inkscape, so that you can cut mats separately? For instance, I'm trying to make a title with two mats, but I want them on separate pages because I plan to share and maybe someone else will want only one mat.
I've found the layer command and created layers, but it seems to duplicate all three images rather than letting me isolate one per page.
AnointedHands

Re: Layers?

Post by AnointedHands »

Laurieinaz wrote:Jancy ... I know you're out there.
How do you add layers in Inkscape, so that you can cut mats separately? For instance, I'm trying to make a title with two mats, but I want them on separate pages because I plan to share and maybe someone else will want only one mat.
I've found the layer command and created layers, but it seems to duplicate all three images rather than letting me isolate one per page.
Not Jancy, but trying to answer your question. You will have to put each image in a file saved with a new name. For instance, you make the title and the two mats. Select one of the mats, cut it off the page, create a new page, paste it and then save the file. You might name it part of the title file name + mat I. Do the same thing for the second mat, and name it "title +mat II. Then just save the title file. Title file might be named Christmas...first mat might be Christmas mat I and second mat might be Christmas MatII. That way you will remember that they are related.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
Laurieinaz

Post by Laurieinaz »

Thank you. So essentially, you create three separate .svg files to download. Right?
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

Yes, that is the only way you can do it. If you save as one file, you will have to do that step eventually cuz when you open in SCAL, it is one file. In order to use them as mats, you will have to go in Inkscape and save them separately.
dlwrules

Post by dlwrules »

Ok, so here is my follow up question to that. I've figured out how to save both the title and its mat.

Now when I bring in the files, how do I make certain that I am cutting them to a consistent size? Let's say that I want the title to be about 3 inches tall. I stretch it to three inches using the arrow key on the lower right corner.

Now when I open the mat to cut it, do I stretch it to 3.50 or 4 depending on how wide I want my mat?

I'm guessing that I do this manually every time - is that correct???
Donna Lee

Saying THANKS to Todd for this amazing software and for this very helpful forum, and to all those who are sharing their time and talents here
Laurieinaz

Post by Laurieinaz »

Another question -- I made a mistake and so I need to make a change to one letter but now that I've selected all in Inkscape, I can seem to deselect. Tried using the command on the edit toolbar but it won't let me ungroup the letters. Anybody know a way?
sboz

Post by sboz »

As far a changing one letter and finding that you can't do this: It is probably because when you created the word you typed it as 'one word' just like when typing here in a message. You should have to typed a letter - click on the mat - type another letter - click on the mat - type another letter - click on the mat, etc.

Shari
Bug Safe: http://www.pbase.com/bugsafe/inbox
My Blog - "The Bug Stop" - where you can find my .cut files:
http://thebugstop.blogspot.com/
Laurieinaz

Post by Laurieinaz »

Shari --
I did type one letter at a time. Then select all. Then path, etc., to weld. Now I need to undo some of that to get back to one letter that looks wrong. Deselect all isn't undoing it. Any way to do it?
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

Laurieinaz wrote:Another question -- I made a mistake and so I need to make a change to one letter but now that I've selected all in Inkscape, I can seem to deselect. Tried using the command on the edit toolbar but it won't let me ungroup the letters. Anybody know a way?
You can change your letters when you type a word in Inkscape. Just place the cursor where you want to change, and make the change.
Laurieinaz

Post by Laurieinaz »

But that's my point. It's not working. When I point the cursor to the letter I want to change, it selects the entire word. How can I get it to select just the individual letter? I did make them individually, so I logically, I should be able to get back to them individually.