UGH! MTC Settlement

For your help and questions
Butterfly

Re: UGH! MTC Settlement

Post by Butterfly »

this sucks
Last edited by Butterfly on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Ya know this pisses me off so bad. I am just going to start saving my money in high speed cutting every reasonable corner I can find Including the first thing on my list, NOT buying one more blade or mat for this beast. I am gonna put it on craigs list and take what I can get for it. I Will own a Silhouette in the next few weeks come Hell or high water.

Provo craft is self serving and has never cared about their customers just their money. Some of you may think this is taking it to an extreme and that is your right.

But I plan on standing loyal to the one that made it possible for me to be able to craft in this manner in a way that I could afford to

GOD HELP ME I AM GETTING THE SCISSORS OUT OF THE DRAWER!!!!
Scrappin My Way Through

papasue

Post by papasue »

Can we PLEASE not do this. It serves no purpose and may only HURT SCAL. I'm sure if Todd has anything to say he will let us know if we need to be worried.

So in the meantime let's not get all riled up and fill the forum with posts about which we can do nothing!
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I agree with papasue.. and besides.. The reason MTC was being sued in the first place is because people were able to make make up copies of their cartridges. to share with others.. SCAL is in no way similar as it has nothing to do with cartridges..
But I say too.. Let's not get too concerned about it... and just continue to do what we do best.. Also note. It's the ones that have the back up feature that are told to be disabled my MTC.. not recent copies..
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

This is a quote from the article

Provo Craft’s attorneys have once again moved to take action against a company making 3rd party Cricut add-ons. The company filed suit in U.S. District Court on January 20th, 2011 against Craft Edge, the producer of Sure Cuts A Lot software, and Craft Edge’s owner, Brandon Kuroda. The suit alleges that Kuroda violated Provo Craft’s copyright on the Cricut Design Studio software when he created the Sure Cuts A Lot software code, and that the company has been violating Cricut’s trademarks in its products and marketing.

Provo Craft is seeking compensation, damages and attorney’s fees in the suit, as well as an injunction preventing the future sale of the Sure Cuts A Lot software.

I will not support a company that is so hell bent on destroying others
Scrappin My Way Through

Rachell

Post by Rachell »

they are going after anyone who makes a third party soft ware and what has been posted it that MTC can no longer make any future program to work with the circut machine which is the same thing that are after from Brandon of Scal and they should be right on Fairycut butts too so if they get from Brandon what they did from Andy then all future versions and updates will render them useless to the cricut machines.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I doubt they will go after a Canadian marketed software.. Costs too much money... Only reason Craftedge was brought into this was because you need to use one of the PCs cartridges in order for the software to work. Sooo what about the wiring method we can use in the scal cartridge slot so we don't need one of their cartridges... ??? I do believe the George cartridge???
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

I read the article very carefully regarding the MTC settlement and it appears that if you own MTC software you can continue to use it. The conditions of the settlement were that MTC had to provide an update to the version WITH THE BACKUP CARTRIDGE FEATURE to customers within 30 days and MTC had to render those 600 versions useless. So if you have the version without the cartridge backup then MTC will still work. MTC cannot sell any new software and has to destroy the code they used to create it. So it looks like those who bought the software can still use it to cut on their machines but MTC can't offer support or change anything other than the one upgrade.

I don't own MTC, but if I did, I sure wouldn't update my Cricut firmware or install any new Design Studio updates in case Provocraft figures out how to disable the MTC software.
MSGRANDMA

Post by MSGRANDMA »

I agree with not updating firmware. I also think that you will not be able to update the Gypsy either. I think they will be putting in something to block 3rd party software soon.