Idea for Sewing and Craft Room

For your help and questions
Maggie

Re: Idea for Sewing and Craft Room

Post by Maggie »

hkvalerio wrote:I have my sewing machine just to sew paper. I never have but I love the way it looks on other people's projects. I wonder if I need anything special to sew on paper instead of fabric??? I have lots of accessories to go with my machine, just haven't found the time to try it out yet. BTW I've had it for over a year now! :D
I sew on my cards quite often. I tend to leave denim weight thread and needles in my machine because I hem jeans for my kids and myself most often. So, I just zip around it with what I have in the machine. I medium to heavy machine needle is fine for cardstock. I'd use a medium need and regular thread on anything less than cardstock as it will tear out the paper. You can try your settings on scrap paper before applying to your work, or start on projects where meticulous results aren't necessary to enjoy the result.

It's a lot of fun and adds a finished and homemade flair.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I was at a crop about a year ago and one of the ladies had this little sewing machine. At that time, I had no idea you could sew on paper. Her layout looked really cool when she was finished!
Todd
hkvalerio
Location: { Cali } Windows XP, Inkscape .48, SCAL2, Microsoft Digital Image Pro

Post by hkvalerio »

Thanks Maggie!

Todd, I originally bought one of those little sewing machines that is made for scrapbooking and small craft projects but it was poorly made and didn't work properly. My grandmother then offered me one of her old machines, had it repaired so that it is in tip-top shape, and now I haven't touched it.

One of these days I will have time to try it out. I also want to try to make a cricut cover, first for myself and if that goes well, I want to make some as gifts.
Heather
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

I've seen the dust covers on "Clever" blog. Pretty! My old one did get pretty dusty. I just use mine too often to cover it at the moment!

Another sewing tip: if the machine wants to pull your paper down through the carriage, you can sew the paper layered on wax paper or layered tissue paper to add bulk...it will tear right off the backside when you are done.

Here's a photo of the Cricut stand I found at Jo-Ann's for $30 last week on clearance, (normally $199). (I didn't like my cricut that close to the wall...no room for the mat to move...but I do like to stand to sew my quick projects, so it's now my sewing machine stand! Lots of drawer space, too!)
Attachments
Sewing Machine Table.jpg
Sewing Machine Table.jpg (120.34 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
hkvalerio
Location: { Cali } Windows XP, Inkscape .48, SCAL2, Microsoft Digital Image Pro

Post by hkvalerio »

Wow $30 sounds like a great deal. My craft room is very small and my sewing machine is in it's own stand. It's supposed to fold down so that the top can be a flat surface but I can't seem to get it to do that. It's kind of a waste of space because it doesn't have any drawers underneath it. My cricut is currently sitting on a 6ft long folding table. I'm using that space for my crafts right now, and if I decide I like this set-up I will buy some "real" furniture.

Thanks for the sewing tips. Maybe my first project can be for the March Challenge!
Heather
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

That sounds like a good idea, Heather. I am on a $25 wooden kitchen table I found at a second hand store. I love the work space and that it matches an antique bed in my guest room. A bit wide for the space, but only a problem when my kids try to squeeze behind me! I think they only do it because they can!
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I actually have my cricut on a computer desk my daughter bought brand new.. she didn't take it with her when she married so it came in handy. I took the little racks out of the side that holds dvds and I put my cartridges there.. Also the part that normally holds the keyboard for a computer came in handy for a great paper holder :D.. and the top shelf holds all my pretty angels I have..