car decals and transfer tape

For your help and questions
kimberlyjoy

car decals and transfer tape

Post by kimberlyjoy »

My school has asked me to produce some car decals to sell for them. It is a small school, so I took on the challenge. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. first of all, what is the best type of vinyl to use for car decals. I have some Oracal 631 that I was going to try to use. Would the cricut vinyl work as well? Not my best option, but have to have them done by Friday and I don't have much white on hand. Secondly, the transfer tape I purchased from Sign warehouse doesn't release the vinyl well at all. Any advice how to improve the "release-ability" or another option to use?

Thanks all for your input.
gj1

Re: car decals and transfer tape

Post by gj1 »

http://forums.surecutsalot.com/search.p ... mit=Search

Many report using contact paper from dollar store above.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

If you are going to sell them you need commercial transfer tape because contact paper will set up over time and not release if they wait a while to apply it. Cricut vinyl IS oracal 631 but you want permanent adhesive for car decals, something like oracal 651 or GT5. The oracal 631 will work, but not last as long, OK for you but maybe not a good idea if you are selling.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Kimberylyjoy,
Where do you live? I have sold hundreds of decals for cars for various groups. I use Oracal 651 and contact paper for transfer tape. I have not had a problem with the contact paper not releasing from the 651 over a period of time. I have cuts that are two years old and still release from the contact paper. I have about 6 rolls of White 651. If you live close enough to Michigan, I could ship you some today and you could have it tomorrow.
Todd
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

I live in Florida and have ruined decals in as little as 2 weeks with contact paper. Not to worry, though, because the transfer tape you got from sign warehouse should work fine with oracal 651 or equivalent permanent/outdoor vinyl. It is the 631 that is tricky with transfer tape.

That's interesting, Todd, I wonder if it's the heat or the humidity or both. These never left my house (thankfully).
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Kay,
It might have something to do with the heat and humidity. Was it Oracal vinyl? I was worried that as time went by, they might not release, but my brother just put one on his new truck with no problems and the decal was over two years old.
Todd
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

So glad I am seeing this posting. May I ask some more questions? I teach a class where they must develop a product that we sell. The students have asked if we can use put a "spear" (we are the Warriors) on a decal and sell the decals. It would be great if I could have them design them. It would save us the set-up fees and minimum quantity requirements of outside vendors. Can someone answer a few more questions as I never cut vinyl with my Cricut yet.

Would I use the deep cut blade?
Where would I purchase the Oracle 651 vinyl?
I see contact transfer tape mentioned -- is that put then on the back of the vinyl and what brand, where would I purchase it?

I am sorry if these seem like silly questions, but this will be a first and I've never made decals (just basic Cricut cutting stuff).
Sandy in PA
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I use a regular 45 blade when I cut vinyl. I purchase my vinyl for www.signwarehouse.com. I use regular clear contact paper for my transfer tape. You can buy it at Wal-Mart. Some people think the shipping from Signwarehouse is expensive. It can be if you are only ordering one or two rolls. You can add more rolls and the rate only goes up a dollar or two.
Todd
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

O.K. - I will have to explore this some more and maybe look for a video tutorial. I assume the 45 blade is the regular one that comes with the Cricut. You are such a wealth of information. I don't know what this forum would do without you nearby....stay healthy. :lol:

Gotta go, my lunch is over.
Sandy in PA
Haying_50

Post by Haying_50 »

Yeah Oracal 631 is really good and I also have this vinyl for my own car. But recently I attended a trade show and got to know about other types of vinyl too that I was completely unaware of. Some of them had named those at their trade show displays too. I have recorded some clips from the event so would like to check them out to help you regarding this.