embird and SCAL

For your help and questions
krenita

embird and SCAL

Post by krenita »

I am embroidering applique letters on a set of shirts and thought I could shave off some of the time to make the shirts by using my cricut to cut the fabric. I created a jpg of each letter in Embird and then traced them in SCAL. The problem is the size of the letters don't match. For instance Embird shows the width of one letter as 4.78, but in SCAL it shows something like 2.62. When I cut out the letter it is larger than the embroidery design. I tried adjusting the numbers in SCAL, but that doesn't seem to work. I can move the size to 4.71 but the next size it moves to is 4.96. I can change the 1 to an 8 but it doesn't actually change the size of the design.
I looked at a video on YouTube that showed how to create the pic in Inkscape before taking to SCAl but I made a mess with that. Can anyone help me?
jendryden

Re: embird and SCAL

Post by jendryden »

I am far from being an expert but would it be easier to type the letters directly in SCAL? That way you can move each individual letter to be exactly how tall you want it to be?
Jen
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

You can also set the exact size of the letter you've brought into SCAL as well ...
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I do a good bit of "in the hoop" emb. and I have cut the dieline (paper cutout) on the Cricut and had no problem. Once I had the dieline cut, I cut the fabric by hand.

Make sure you don't have the Keep Proportions box checked and change each measurement ( W and H) by hand using the measurements you have. If the KP box is not checked, there is no reason for the measurements to change automatically.

HTH
Althea
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
krenita

Post by krenita »

jendryden wrote:I am far from being an expert but would it be easier to type the letters directly in SCAL? That way you can move each individual letter to be exactly how tall you want it to be?
I need the letters to be identical to the embroidery designed applique letters I'm using. Typing them in SCAL would not be identical.
AnointedHands wrote:I do a good bit of "in the hoop" emb. and I have cut the dieline (paper cutout) on the Cricut and had no problem. Once I had the dieline cut, I cut the fabric by hand.

Make sure you don't have the Keep Proportions box checked and change each measurement ( W and H) by hand using the measurements you have. If the KP box is not checked, there is no reason for the measurements to change automatically.

HTH
Althea
I like the dieline idea but again I can't get them to be the same size.I made sure the KP box was not checked. How do you create your image to use it in SCAL?
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

Anything I create is created in Inkscape. SCAL does not have enough features to do what I do so I just cut in SCAL. I don't know if you have ever used INK and if you have, you might try going from there. I traced my dieline in INK, set the size and saved as .svg. When I moved to SCAL to cut, I had no problem adjusting the size. I can try to get sizing right if you post/email the file.

Althea
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
krenita

Post by krenita »

I spent all evening yesterday trying to figure this out and had finally decided to print the dieline on card stock and hand cut them, but then something told me to try again and I finally got it right! :D I exported a snapshot in Embird, traced it in SCAL,and adjusted the size. Apparently the problem was in the way that I tried to adjust the size. I kept trying to adjust the size from the properties box, but could never get it to the exact size.I finally grabbed the adjustment arrows around the selection box and was able to set the exact size. Yea!! Now it won't take so long to complete the shirts.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.