Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

For your help and questions
GrammyKrausse

Re: Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

Post by GrammyKrausse »

talanhart wrote:This hasn't been mentioned in awhile.

Do not have any other software running upfront or in the background. SCAL doesn't like any other programs to be running that use USB ports. Cell phones and scanner software have interfered with SCAL. There may be others.
You reminded me of something that happened two weeks ago. for some reason I couldn't open the new Windows live mail. Just wouldn't open so I right clicked on the bottom bar and chose the start task manager and sure enough there were three running in the background that you couldn't see or tell were there. Usually in windows 7 there would be a folder showing that you had a mail open but not this time. I would look at my task bar and just see what is running
Attachments
start task manager.jpg
start task manager.jpg (126.51 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
maureenmcn
Location: Devon, UK; Windows 7 64 bit; SCAL2 and 3; Inkscape; Cricut Expression; Silhouette Cameo

Post by maureenmcn »

Yes get a little beep sound.

Checked out the taskbar manager and nothing running in background. No other USB connections as the pc connects wirelessly to printer and internet etc and just to confirm the usb lead goes direct from the Cricut to my PC.
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

It's never been mentioned before that I can remember, but maybe the drivers that run your printer wirelessly are causing the problem.
Todd
maureenmcn
Location: Devon, UK; Windows 7 64 bit; SCAL2 and 3; Inkscape; Cricut Expression; Silhouette Cameo

Post by maureenmcn »

Sorry misleading you there. No drivers for printer on my pc as just connect through sharing with husband's pc which is connected to printer and router
Maureen

hope9811

Post by hope9811 »

Hey, I know the answer to this one! Woo hoo! LOL. It's nice to be able to help once in awhile. <grin>

This is actually a problem with the drivers for the cricut. Windows 7 on a 64 bit computer doesn't "install" them correctly. Works ok on a Windows 7 32 bit, but not the 64. Here is the link to the fix!

http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=6784383

I know two people who have had this same problem and this fixed it.
Good luck!

Heidi
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Thanks Heidi

Will try that when my pc gets back from the workshop. Having to take back in because of other issues I have been having.

Craft Edge support team had suggested updating the firmware so looks like I can hope this is the fix to get me crafting again!

Will let you know how it works out in next couple days.

You guys are great with all your help!

Thanks

Maureen (in UK)
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I had to Update the Drivers in my Ports (Com and LPT) on my laptop running Vista. Very interesting that they have this posted in the Updating Drivers for 7.
Todd
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Tried the above link before taking to the workshop. Everything in place and updated but when I went into DS (via the trial mode) to update the firmware got the message 'computer cannot find the Cricut, please unplug all USBs except Cricut and try again'. I have no other USB connections! Have checked that the USB cable I am using worked with another device and in the same port. None of the buttons on the Cricut work except for the Power and Stop. Tried running SCAL and Cricut again on my husband's XP and works fine! Just cannot get my Win 7 pc and the Cricut to 'talk'.

Back from workshop tomorrow sometime so will try again then.

Todd does it still look like the problem is the other drivers installed on my PC to you ?
:?
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

It's hard to say. I find it strange that your Cricut doesn't work when it is plugged into the computer. Do the buttons work when you unplug the cord from the computer or do you have to turn the Cricut off and then on again.
Todd
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Unplugged usb lead at pc end only and I have to turn off and on again to get it to work and tried unplugging just at Cricut end and also have to turn off and on.
Maureen