Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

For your help and questions
maureenmcn
Location: Devon, UK; Windows 7 64 bit; SCAL2 and 3; Inkscape; Cricut Expression; Silhouette Cameo

Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

Post by maureenmcn »

Help please!!!!

Have new pc running Windows 7 (64 bit version).
Have re-installed SCAL....
Installed drivers....
Turned off anti-virus....

Problem - PC doesn't communicate with Cricut Expression v2.3 at all!
Cannot even load paper.
Worked on Win XP so tried running SCAL on XP compatibility mode but still no joy.

Cricut works with cartridges just not with PC.

Tearing my hair out as have project to finish. :(

Please can someone help before I go bald?
Maureen

pastda3

Re: Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

Post by pastda3 »

I'm still using XP, but maybe the following post will help you out. If not, I'm sure someone will come along and give you additional advice.

http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... =6&t=12024
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Do you have a cartridge in your Cricut? Since it won't load your mat, that sounds like it might be your problem. Any cartridge will work, but you must have one in the machine. HTH
maureenmcn
Location: Devon, UK; Windows 7 64 bit; SCAL2 and 3; Inkscape; Cricut Expression; Silhouette Cameo

Post by maureenmcn »

Thanks for your replies but have tried all the hints and tips suggested and yes do have a cartridge in machine.

There must be something I am missing. SCAL opens and I can work on it fine it just won't communicate with the Cricut. Am in touch with the support team at Craft Edge but they are coming up with the same answers with exception of updating the Cricut firmware through DS which I am unsure about as thought DS wasn't compatible with Win7.

Am seriously thinking about doing another re-install (although it didn't help before) but if anyone else has any further ideas I would appreciate it.

Seems like I have spent days and days trying to get things to work on my new PC and beginning to wonder if Win 7 is worth the hassle! :cry:
Maureen

HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Make sure that your usb cable is plugged directly into your computer and not into a hub, keyboard, or monitor.
Can you cut from your cartridge? It isn't at all typical to not be able to load the cutting mat.
Your OS isn't the problem, several of us use Win7 64 bit with no problems.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

HeatherM wrote:Make sure that your usb cable is plugged directly into your computer and not into a hub, keyboard, or monitor.
Can you cut from your cartridge? It isn't at all typical to not be able to load the cutting mat.
Your OS isn't the problem, several of us use Win7 64 bit with no problems.
This is really strange, the load mat function is in the Cricut itself and doesn't need the connection to anything except electricity to work. Maybe it has to do with the Machine having a problem.
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Yes it is strange but the Cricut works independently with cartridge loaded, loads paper and cuts and was working absolutely fine with Win XP!

Have re-downloaded from Craft edge making sure all anti-virus and firewalls are off. Checked that the USB serial adapter is up to date. Checked the USB cable and tried different ports. Tried running it in Win 7 mode 32 bit and 64bit (I have Ultimate version), XP service pack 2, XP service pack 3, all with and without 'run as administrator' enabled. Have ensured I re-booted between each change and that Cricut was disconnected, turned off or both. So as you can see I am completely at a loss to know what else I can do.

May try installing it on husband's XP machine in trial mode to see if it works on that but cannot leave it on there as he uses it continually for work purposes and I am in another room. Really need to resolve this problem as I have projects to complete!

As before ANY suggestions gratefully received (but not one that goes chuck my new pc out of the window)

Many thanks everyone :?
Maureen

GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

maureenmcn wrote:Yes it is strange but the Cricut works independently with cartridge loaded, loads paper and cuts and was working absolutely fine with Win XP!

Have re-downloaded from Craft edge making sure all anti-virus and firewalls are off. Checked that the USB serial adapter is up to date. Checked the USB cable and tried different ports. Tried running it in Win 7 mode 32 bit and 64bit (I have Ultimate version), XP service pack 2, XP service pack 3, all with and without 'run as administrator' enabled. Have ensured I re-booted between each change and that Cricut was disconnected, turned off or both. So as you can see I am completely at a loss to know what else I can do.

May try installing it on husband's XP machine in trial mode to see if it works on that but cannot leave it on there as he uses it continually for work purposes and I am in another room. Really need to resolve this problem as I have projects to complete!

As before ANY suggestions gratefully received (but not one that goes chuck my new pc out of the window)

Many thanks everyone :?
Hum. You said works fine with cartridge, you did leave the cartridge in when hooked up to the computer? Wont work without cartridge. This is really strange. HTH
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Yes cartridge is in the Expression when hooked up to pc.
Maureen

maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Well I just downloaded SCAL trial version and connected Expression to my husband's pc running XP Professional service pack 3 and it works perfectly (with the trial cut line of course) so anyone with enough technical knowledge out there with any suggestions?
Maureen