Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

For your help and questions
maureenmcn
Location: Devon, UK; Windows 7 64 bit; SCAL2 and 3; Inkscape; Cricut Expression; Silhouette Cameo

Re: Problems with Cricut Expression and SCAL on Windows 7

Post by maureenmcn »

Just thought - I can try updating the firmware by using my husband's XP pc. He is using it for work at moment but may be able to access it later today.
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Here is a picture of a Device manager. When you open this on your computer with the Cricut plugged into your computer and turned on, do you have both the Ports and the Universal Serial Bus controllers showing up or just the USB controller? Is there a Yellow Exclamation mark next to either of these when you expand them by clicking on the + sign to the left of each item.
Todd
maureenmcn
Location: Devon, UK; Windows 7 64 bit; SCAL2 and 3; Inkscape; Cricut Expression; Silhouette Cameo

Post by maureenmcn »

Had both showing up

USB Serial Port (COM8)
Universal Serial Bus controller > USB Serial converter> Driver Version 2.6.2.0>Location Port_#0002.Hub_#0002

Don't have an expand on them but went into their properties and says device working properly
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I see that your USB Serial port is COM 8. Change that to a 4 and restart your computer and try again.
Todd
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Apparently it says COM4 in use - still go ahead?
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I would change it to a 4 and see what happens.
Todd
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

nope, same thing, nothing working!
Maureen

talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Bummer! If that didn't work, then I'm guessing it's probably the drivers even though your computer says they are working correctly.
Todd
maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

Ok, many thanks for all your wonderful help. Looks like I will have to purchase that software you suggested after all? I am going to try a Windows 7 re-install over the weekend as I have had few other, unconnected, issues. Thought of maybe downloading Virtual XP but do not seem able to do that either - something to do with having wrong processor. :cry:

There has to be more to life than trying to sort out computer problems - like crafting!!! LOL

Maureen
Maureen

maureenmcn

Post by maureenmcn »

:D :D :D
Had to let you all know I am up and cutting!!

I completely uninstalled Windows 7, reformatted my HD partition, re-installed and whoopee I have lift off!!!!

I can't thank you all enough for the help you gave me and I can only think that somehow I got a glitch in my system on the first Windows 7 install because all the drivers are exactly the same.

Just hope I am not talking too soon and that when I power back on tomorrow I will still be cutting.

Happy SCALing everyone and thanks again.

Maureen ;)
Maureen