Royalty free scut

Share your Sure Cuts A Lot Projects (.scut, .scut2,.scut3,.scut4)
dolanqt

Royalty free scut

Post by dolanqt »

Hi everyone,

I am going to start making cards to sell and I am looking for royalty free svg and scut files to use. Many people share files but only want people to use them for personal use.

Thanks!!!!

Courtney
Deloris

Re: Royalty free scut

Post by Deloris »

I used to create painting designs for magazines. I was always paid a fee for their use of my design and I signed a contract/ release to allow the magazine to use my design for a commercial purpose. The same is true for cutting files. Most designers require a fee to use their cutting files for commercial use when you plan to resell the items created with them. (Since they did the work to create the file, they would want you to pay them if you are using their files to make a profit from them.)

But each designer has a tou policy so best to ask and get permission if they will allow commercial use.
Last edited by Deloris on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Check out:

http://pennyduncancreations.blogspot.com/

She has a section on the upper left about using her files for profit.
judyjo
Location: Indiana, Mac v.10.5.8, Inkscapes, Scal v. 2.013, Cricut Expression, Design Studio, eclips, eCAL

Post by judyjo »

How about if you use someones image to enter into a contest to win a prize?
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

judyjo wrote:How about if you use someones image to enter into a contest to win a prize?
It would be better to get their permission before using the design. Also give them credit as the designer when you enter the contest since they did the work to create the cutting file and should be acknowledged.
judyjo
Location: Indiana, Mac v.10.5.8, Inkscapes, Scal v. 2.013, Cricut Expression, Design Studio, eclips, eCAL

Post by judyjo »

Delores, can I assume this includes images from cartridges?
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Deleted post.
Last edited by Deloris on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Anything you find at clker.com (one interface for the open clipart libary) is in the public domain and can be used on items for sale, so that is one source.
Another suggestion would be to buy royalty free clipart and convert it to svg. (check licensing agreement, but this should be ok as long as you are selling items, not the files themselves.
The files at http//www.myvinyldesigner.com are made to resell.
You might also want to check vectorstock.com.
Another idea is to do really custom stuff. For instance, instead of cutting an image of A wedding cake, trace a photo and cut an image of THEIR wedding cake. Create silhouettes from your client's photos, etc. Not only does this solve the copyright problem, but it gives you a one of a kind product the customer can not buy elsewhere.

Good luck with your new venture.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Good news from ProvoCraft. Looks like you can sell cards with cartridge images without running afoul of the angel policy!
http://www.cricut.com/news/
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

firstcut wrote:Good news from ProvoCraft. Looks like you can sell cards with cartridge images without running afoul of the angel policy!
http://www.cricut.com/news/
Wow, that is a big change for them. Cartridge sales must be down.