SCAL 2 and Cricut Expression

Share your Sure Cuts A Lot Projects (.scut, .scut2,.scut3,.scut4)
kmdimmer86

SCAL 2 and Cricut Expression

Post by kmdimmer86 »

I have had SCAL 2 and my Expression since February of 2011 and never had any issues with the program running very slow. I tried to use it to cut out vinyl for a wedding favor and it was going very slow. I updated the SCAL 2 software, I changed the cord to the Expression, updated the driver and restarted my computer and it still goes very slow. I then tried to cut out a basic shape and still it was at snail’s pace cutting. I made sure the setting on the SCAL 2 program was set at cutting speed high and still it was very slow. The program also opens slowly. Could it be my computer? That is 2 years old as well and I know computer’s start to bog down after a while. The Expression itself will cut very fast when not hooked up through the program.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: SCAL 2 and Cricut Expression

Post by HeatherM »

It really sounds like you need to do some computer maintenance. If you have too many nodes the speed will slow down, but that doesn't sound like the problem here.
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

My Gateway laptop is 5 years old and it hasn't slowed down my cutting on my E as far as I can tell. When the window pops up, does it still say that you are cutting with an Expression or did it default back to one of the smaller machines?
Todd
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Hi Todd! Yep, my laptop is about 5 years old, and the cutting speed is the same as always.

Kmdimmer86, I assume that you are running Windows. I would check for malware. Also, make sure that Windows has all of the updates (if you haven't updated in a while, it might take several runs through the updates, because MS doesn't streamline the process). Another thing to check is dust, especially on laptops. I use canned air to clean the fan through the vents on a regular basis (of course, I need to more often because my cat thinks that the laptop is his own personal chin scratcher/heat source).