Monograms from vinyl

Shenya250

Re: Monograms from vinyl

Post by Shenya250 »

Hi there!
How do you add weight to text in Inkscape? I have downloaded a few fonts that do not show "Bold" as an option.
Thanks!
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Path>object to path then ungroup then Path>outset (multiple times till you get the thickness where you want it) or Path>Dynamic Offset and drag the little diamond outward to the thickness you like then Path>Object to Path again.
Shenya250

Post by Shenya250 »

Thank you!! When I did Path>outset it was very weighted (no holes in the middle of the lower case e) when I did Path>Dynamic Offset it worked great. Is there a way to change that besides dragging the diamond? I had a few different words to do and it's tough to get them to the same thickness. Thanks again, really appreciate it!
lkc

Post by lkc »

Shenya250 wrote:Thank you!! When I did Path>outset it was very weighted (no holes in the middle of the lower case e) when I did Path>Dynamic Offset it worked great. Is there a way to change that besides dragging the diamond? I had a few different words to do and it's tough to get them to the same thickness. Thanks again, really appreciate it!
I thought this was a great question...so when I had a chance I looked to see if it was possible because I have also found it annoying to not be able to just copy and paste the offset created...so I did discover it can be edited using the xml editor in the edit menu...I will post some instructions on my blog for this as well.

I don't know if I can completely explain how to do it here but after you have applied the offset to each image, open the editor and then click on one the images (on my sample the word "house") and the path id will be highlighted in the xml editor. In the sample shown it is "path4117". The various attributes are to the right and I selected inkscaperadius. It shows the degree of offset and I've shown where to change it. I changed mine to 1.5 to match the thickness of the word "Home" and Ctrl+Enter to save the change.

I don't know if there is an easier way to do this but I hope this helps...

dynamic_outset_tut4a.png
dynamic_outset_tut4a.png (112.95 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
dynamic_outset_tut6.png
dynamic_outset_tut6.png (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2934 times