Sure Cuts A Lot 2.0 For Windows

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
Deloris

Re: Sure Cuts A Lot 2.0 For Windows

Post by Deloris »

I purchased the SCAL 2.0 CD last week. It's version 2.003 and the installation on my computer running on Vista went fine along with activation.

Today I downloaded the update for version 2.004 and during installation I got the following error message:

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed;code 5
Access is denied.

What do I need to do to fix the error?
MarthaT

Post by MarthaT »

Im having the same problem
biz_kid1

Post by biz_kid1 »

@Deloris and MarthaT: I'm not sure what the proper procedure is for this, but the "IT Help Desk" person in me says to:
1) Note your serial numbers for SCAL2 (for reinstall)
2) Go to Start > Programs > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall SCAL2
3) Go to C:\Program Files\Craft Edge (or whatever your OS equivalent is) and delete the Sure Cuts A Lot 2 folder if it still exists after the uninstall
4) I'd be tempted to search the registry for any trace entries (not for the squeamish, though!), but if you have a registry cleaner (like CCleaner), you may want to run it now (and note that it will clean up all your registry, not just SCAL2, so you may want to consider backing up the registry first)
5) Reboot
6) Turn off all antivirus type or network/port blocking applications; you may want to consider turning off your firewall
7) Reinstall SCAL2 (from 2.004 download) and reactivate/re-register product

***Edited to add Grammy's suggestion***
Last edited by biz_kid1 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I googled your error message and came up with the same info, even though it was for several different types of software the sites were trying to install. They all got the same error message you had. Most not all agreed and ask if the original software could have been running at the same time ans the install of the update. They all said when the original was running would cause this error/problem. Each ask them to try again, make sure software wasn't already trying to run in the background, if that didn't help do a boot and try again.

One thing I do when installing from the net is shut down all running programs, encluding Norton, Norton and spyware software will block some parts of the download and not let it install properly. So far I have had no problems.

You might google your error message you get and see what others say. I dont think it has to do with a particular software but your operating system is where you are getting the error message and not letting your install.

Good Luck
Grammy
esivils

Post by esivils »

So what about the message: A more recent version of Sure Cuts A Lot 2 is available. Please visit www.craftedge.com for more information.
I started getting that message about 1 week after I installed SCAL2...
chasar

Post by chasar »

me too and when i work on a project it keeps freezing on me to the point where i have to close it out and restart. All of a sudden, the dropdown boxes turn into black 6's and the tool bar disappears and some other freaky things go on.
biz_kid1

Post by biz_kid1 »

@esivils: Which version SCAL2 are you running? To check: Open SCAL2 > Help > About and see which version is installed. 2.004 is the most current, so if you have anything previous to that, you will get the prompt that a newer version is available! Let me know if you're already running 2.004 and still getting that message.
esivils wrote:So what about the message: A more recent version of Sure Cuts A Lot 2 is available. Please visit http://www.craftedge.com for more information.
I started getting that message about 1 week after I installed SCAL2...
biz_kid1

Post by biz_kid1 »

@chasar: This is likely caused by too little RAM or too many processes running in the background. Your system resources "fill up" over time/use, so you may consider rebooting prior to beginning or working on a project in SCAL. What are your system specifications? Here's what Craft Edge recommends:

System Requirements

Macintosh (Version 1 only. Version 2 is expected to be released later in the year)
Power PC or Intel based Macintosh
Macintosh OSX 10.4/10.5
512 MB of RAM or more
At least 50 MB of available hard disk space
USB Port 1.1 or 2.x
CricutTM Personal - Firmware v1.1 **
CricutTM Expression - Firmware v2.1 **
CricutTM Create - Firmware v1.51 **

Windows
Pentium processor-based PC or compatible computer
Windows XP/Vista
512 MB of RAM or more
At least 50 MB of available hard disk space
USB Port 1.1 or 2.x
CricutTM Personal - Firmware v1.1 or 1.3 **
CricutTM Expression - Firmware v2.1 or 2.3 **
CricutTM Create - Firmware v1.51 **
chasar wrote:me too and when i work on a project it keeps freezing on me to the point where i have to close it out and restart. All of a sudden, the dropdown boxes turn into black 6's and the tool bar disappears and some other freaky things go on.
chasar

Post by chasar »

Thank you for responding. Yes, i have all of that and i've also rebooted my computer before opening up scal2. It still freezes, even when it's the only program running. I also run spybot every so often to get rid of the garbage that sneaks in the backround. It's a mystery to me.
biz_kid1

Post by biz_kid1 »

Well, the above mentioned is the minimum. So, it will run, but at a bare minimum. Have you checked to see what other processes are running (Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager, then click on the processes tab). What happens to your CPU usage (also found in Task Manager) when you open SCAL? Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling with these instructions?

1) Note your serial numbers for SCAL2 (for reinstall)
2) Go to Start > Programs > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall SCAL2
3) Go to C:\Program Files\Craft Edge (or whatever your OS equivalent is) and delete the Sure Cuts A Lot 2 folder if it still exists after the uninstall
4) I'd be tempted to search the registry for any trace entries (not for the squeamish, though!), but if you have a registry cleaner (like CCleaner), you may want to run it now (and note that it will clean up all your registry, not just SCAL2, so you may want to consider backing up the registry first)
5) Reboot
6) Turn off all antivirus type or network/port blocking applications; you may want to consider turning off your firewall
7) Reinstall SCAL2 (from 2.004 download) and reactivate/re-register product

Then let me know what happens.
chasar wrote:Thank you for responding. Yes, i have all of that and i've also rebooted my computer before opening up scal2. It still freezes, even when it's the only program running. I also run spybot every so often to get rid of the garbage that sneaks in the backround. It's a mystery to me.