SCAL2 may not work with Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Things we need you to know
ninner10

SCAL2 may not work with Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Post by ninner10 »

I appreciate your interest papasue! I've discussed this problem with a Mac pro as I was questioning an application on my Mac. It dawned on me that during the installation of the app, it suggested deactivating any virus protection and since I'm using a Mac, I ignored it. After I started having the svg issue, it dawned on me that I have an app called ClamXav installed and wondered if it may have created problems. Thankfully, it is not a resident app, so I didn't have an issue from it.

My Mac pro friend suggested that since I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.4, the software may not have been updated to work with my version of Mountain Lion. I've sent a message to CE and hope they'll respond so I can ask them about this. I may not be able to use SCAL2 on my MacBook after all.....please think positive thoughts for me! Thanks again... Ninner
papasue

Re: SCAL2 may not work with Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Post by papasue »

Ninner, I got the impression from your other post that you could "cut" to the Cricut from SCAL2 on the Air...just not import svg's. If that is correct then did you try opening an svg in old computer and saving it as a scut2 and porting it over to the AIR and see if it would open and cut?

I had some problems when I got Mt Lion and I do not doubt at all that CE did not update SCAL2 to work on Mt Lion since they had stopped working on SCAL2 a year or so before Mt Lion came out.

Hope it all works out of maybe someone who loves you will get you a new cutter soon!

Keep in touch.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
ninner10

Post by ninner10 »

Susan, Ha, ha....I haven't even come close to hooking up my Cricut to my MacBook yet. Call me silly, but I wanted to make sure the installation of SCAL2 was successful before I dragged out my Cricut and hooked the 2 together. I have in excess of 200 svg files, which would take forever to convert to SCUT2...right? To tell the honest truth, I haven't done that before as I've never had the need. Guess I'll just have to experiment if the 2 pieces of hardware will communicate.

Another problem may be lurking around the corner when I connect the Mac and Cricut as the Cricut software version may not be compatible with my Mac SCAL2 software. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, after I get a response from CE about not being able to import svg files. I get the definite feeling that I'm being a pest to them, since I haven't received a response yet! Of course, they may not have an answer to my problem. I'm so happy that you've been a great support to my posts. Who knows, I may end up buying a new cutting machine and software to put on my MacBook that will work together!! Then again, I may end up forgetting that process and go back to Sizzix and my old method of scrapping.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

if you brought a new cutter, say a cameo, you can upgrade from scal2 to scal3 for free - scal3 works with mac and the cameo.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
ninner10

Post by ninner10 »

Ha, ha Gaz....if I purchased a new cutter at this point, I'd have to find a new home!!! My hubby doesn't see the need in all the crafting equipment I already own, so adding to it would be grounds for divorce....Nice thought though!

Ninner
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

I was told something like that by family. I still have two 18 inch cutters (physical size is around 23 inches wide) and a cameo, not to mention the A3 inkjet printer, regular inkjet printer and two laser printers (one a colour) LOL
then there is the sewing machine and "put away" knitting machines (7 of them) and the weaving looms and spinning wheel but that's a whole different set of crafts :)

I go with the idea it's better to ask forgiveness than permission roflmao

you could always try the "I won it in a competition" ploy ;)

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
ninner10

Post by ninner10 »

I'd love to get SCAL3 and a Cameo Gaz, but it's not possible, so I need to find a work-around!

I looked at one of the CE Tutorials about 'SCAL Lib It Up 2' regarding the process of creating my own library. Considering I couldn't import my SVG files like I could on my PC, I wonder if this might be an answer to getting the collection of files in SCAL2 on my Mac? This would take some time, but I wonder if this might be my only option. Has anyone used this program?
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

OK so, do you still have the install discs for previous OS (snow leopard or such)

if you do, you could get parallels and install it as a "virtual" os - then use that for scal2 (I have this but run windows XP for my embroidery software etc)

Gaz
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

In the past when people have had problems with vectors on Mac's they didn't have ActiveX installed. I would make sure that ActiveX is installed and see if that helps.

BTW, you say that you can't import svg files into SCAL2. What is happening when you try?
papasue

Post by papasue »

On the Mac for Mt Lion use X11. I don't know about Active X but I read that it is a Windows utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293?view ... cale=en_US

This is a must utility when using Inkscape. I don't know for sure if it will help with SCAL2 on Mt Lion but it is free.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.