Cutting negative space with text?

Things we need you to know
amynichole

Cutting negative space with text?

Post by amynichole »

Hello all! I just bought SCAL2 to help me with making a lot of my wedding decorations.
I had a awesome idea of making my own wedding invitations, but in order for the text to work it would have to be cut with negative space. Does anyone know if this is possible? If it is how would I go about doing it? Like I said, total newbie to SCAL2
I attached a photo of what I would like to do, for reference.
Attachments
il_570xN.486715775_k61o.jpg
il_570xN.486715775_k61o.jpg (94.67 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
jrichards

Re: Cutting negative space with text?

Post by jrichards »

You could cut that just like they did. It would be quite time consuming and there would be a lot of room for error but if you open SCAL and design the words you want, find the decorations you want and add them to the mat then you can move them around to wherever you want. Use weld to hook them together and then once you are finished "select all" and "group." I am assuming that you know how to use the text tool. If not that is a separate issue and it is really very easy to use!
Just play around with different fonts until you find one you like!
Jan
amynichole

Post by amynichole »

Thanks! I figured it was possible, I just wasn't sure how to go about it. I've already spent a day just working with text, I think I've got it down after a few YouTube tutorials lol[/color]
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

It's quite beautiful. Good luck with it. Post is you do it so we can see.
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

This really is a beautiful cut and quite doable. As Jan mentioned, it will be time consuming. I would also like to suggest before you start is to cut a sample cut to make sure you have the right settings, use sharp blades, use a clean mat and make sure it's not too sticky, and cut slow. Some paper also cut better than others, so try a couple before you get started. I can't think off the top if my head, but there are some that have a lot of fibers and they tend to separate or rip and stick to the mat more than others.

Good luck and I hope we can see what your finished product looks like.
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***