Can I use a MacBook with SCAL2 without fear?

Things we need you to know
ninner10

Can I use a MacBook with SCAL2 without fear?

Post by ninner10 »

According to CE, I can use an "Intel Mac," but it's really frightening to remove a working copy of SCAL2 from my old laptop to experiment with loading it on my Macbook (which has an Intel Core i5 as well as an Intel HD Graphics 4000 card). I've read in the forum of another person having issues using the svg files and they're important if you want all the neat freebies out there. Also, what other issues might crop up?

Has anyone out there had a successful experience putting a legal copy of SCAL2 on a MacBook Pro to use with a Cricut Expression !!? Please help my fear factor!!!! ;) Thank you soooo much, Ninner
papasue

Re: Can I use a MacBook with SCAL2 without fear?

Post by papasue »

I am not sure what you are afraid of. You can have SCAL running on two computers so your original is safe! I would just try it and it will work or not. At the very least you should be able to create on your laptop even if you cannot get it to connect to the Expression.

The only " gotcha" may be that your vs of SCAL is not updated to the OS of the air since it is newer than your desktop. Communicate with CE about that if they are way different, like os5 to os7 for example just to save time.

I would really like to know how this turns out so the next time this comes up I have a better answer. :)
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
ninner10

Post by ninner10 »

Hey papasue, I got brave and was delighted that I now have an 'almost' working copy of SCAL2 on my MacBook. The problem I read about has happened to me - the Import SVG button and in the menu do not work. I need to find the other complaint again to see if her problem was solved, but my "Search" for "Import SVG does not work" didn't bring up an answer. I can use the Fonts and Shape supplied, but I've acquired all the free svg files from SvgCuts and have them on my MacBook, but I can't import them. Big bummer..... :cry:
papasue

Post by papasue »

Ninner, thanks for the update on conquering your "fear". I have no idea why SCAL2 has a problem with importing svg's. I did look around to see where it was discussed but came up blank. Perhaps someone will come by later and tell us both!

In the meantime you could convert your svg's on the older machine to scut2 files and put them on a flash drive to use on your Air until you find an answer.

If you find an answer, please share.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.