SCALv2 with MAC Mountain Lion

Things we need you to know
chefmarybeth

SCALv2 with MAC Mountain Lion

Post by chefmarybeth »

I upgraded the OS to Mountain Lion on my Macbook and lost SCAL usability. I have read on multiple scrap/design websites that you would not be able to use SCAL2 on Mountain Lion. I had trouble re-installing it from my jump drive, so tried a few other tricks and it works perfectly. Here is what I did as I trust CE and 10.8.2/ Mountain Lion doesn't have the capacity to unzip the original binary download without a bit of fine tuning. (FYI-I would not upgrade to ML if you have a lot of projects in the works..back up everything first as it took almost 2 weeks for me to have full functionality of everything I was used to using in Snow Leopard.

For future Mountain Lion Users: (Hope this helps and saves a ton of frustration that I went through when I made the upgrade to 10.8.2/ML. If you use any shareware or developer apps you'll need to download XQuartz anyway. I use Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus and a few more and X11 no longer works and isn't supported in Mountain Lion. You'll need XQuartz to be installed to run SCAL2 in particular if you use Inkscape to create .svg files.

To Install SCALv2 (most CE and scrapper sites said it would not run on Mountain Lion...wrong, you just have to download a different extractor and a few more "fun" steps outlined below!

In Mountain Lion there are a few steps it took in order to open the SCALv2 RAR file for Mac.
The only program (tried WinZip, Unarchiver, Winrar, Apple Archive Utility to no avail) Went to App Store, downloaded RAR7zExtractor ($1.99). It will automatically install on the Launchpad when you buy it. Open it and drag & drop the SCAL.RAR file in it. If open the OSX file. If it says file damaged or corrupted try this and then attempt to open it again.
1)Go to System Preferences
2)Security Settings
3)General
4)Click the radio button that says allow files downloaded from ANYWHERE (SCALv2 will not download as it comes up as "potentially damaged or original code tampered with" when it is not)
5)then go back and click on the Installer, choose storage location and it should be smooth smooth sailing from there.
(go back and change your security settings back (if desired) to Mac App Store or Known Developer Only after installing..I find that a tad annoying, but....love my Mac, but would give it up for SCAL if I had to and I only download from companies I know and trust which includes Craft Edge!)
All the best,
ChefMaryBeth
ChefMaryBeth @ Pinterest & Twitter, ChefMaryBeth & More on FB
Last edited by chefmarybeth on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gj1

Re: SCALv2 with MAC Mountain Lion

Post by gj1 »

My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
ninner10

Re: SCALv2 with MAC Mountain Lion

Post by ninner10 »

Thankfully, I've just been successful in downloading the CE SCAL2 version for my MacBook that actually allows me to access my svg files without all the work that chefmarybeth had to go through. With persistence, I hope my SCAL2 on my MacBook is finally working like my Windows version did, but I haven't tried cutting anything yet, so I guess I shouldn't get THAT excited yet!