In search of some help

Things we need you to know
granny1

In search of some help

Post by granny1 »

Hello there
I am new to this forum and to using my cricut. I have had it for about 2 years and finally getting into using it. I am trying to cut some 3/4" circles that I need to print in. I have worked up my designs in Publisher and saved them as a Jep Traced them into SCAL2 and they actually turn out. Just one thing wrong they were bigger than 3/4". I can't seem to do anyhting that makes them come out the same as I saved them. I have to print them then cut them and with the circles being bigger in Scal it just don't work. I am at my wits end with this project. I thought it would be easy but I just can't get it. If anyone can make sense of them and can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Teresa Rodgers
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Re: In search of some help

Post by sstehman »

1. If you can upload your file so members can take a look it is always a help.
2. If it is just a matter of resizing so it is 3/4", if you click on the keep proportions box, you can resize your circle to 3/4" without changing the proportions of the image.
3. And I can't tell if you are trying to use the Print and Cut feature or if you are just cutting out a 3/4" circle.

Without seeing the file, it's hard to answer. So I suggest to upload it here so we can take a look at the file.
Sandy in PA
granny1

Post by granny1 »

Okay I have attached my file. I don't know that I have done it correctly or not. Maybe you can let me know. I have created this file in publisher. I have inserted the circles around the designs so I could make a SVG file to cut on my cricut. The only way I could think of was to trace the file and delete the design inside the circles. I can do that but that is where I can't get it resized in Scal to cut around my printed design. I hope you can see the design and can help me. I am not very good at describing what I mean.
Thanks
Teresa
granny1

Post by granny1 »

Sorry I see I definitely posted it work how do I delete it.
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

I can see the picture as a jpeg. Can you post the actual svg file? And are you trying to cut out JUST the blank circles? If so, when you delete the design in all of the circles, you need to "ungroup" the circles so you can re-size them individually. I'm not sure I still understand what you are trying to do.
Sandy in PA
granny1

Post by granny1 »

I can post the svg file. Can you tell me how to do it so it don't take up so much room
Thanks
Teresa
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

What you posted was the .jpg picture (an image) and that is why it is so big.

When you post the .svg file (make sure it has that extension)....you won't see the actual image. We will only see the link to the file and then I can take a look at your actual file you are trying to cut.
Sandy in PA
granny1

Post by granny1 »

Here is my SVG file. I was afraid I would have to resize individually.
Attachments
cicrles 2-19-12.scut2
(310.87 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Attached is an svg with the circles all at .75 x .747. You can use this one I believe. It is an scut3 file (as I used eCal) but I believe it will open in SCAL2. If it doesn't here is what I did, or if you can't do it let me know and I will get my other laptop out that has SCAL2 on it.

Here is what I did.

Open your layers by going to Windows - Layers.
You will see the image in the layers panel.
Click on the image.
Go to Object - Ungroup.
You will now see all the circles in the layers panel. (If you don't see them, click on the arrow at the image in the layers panel to expand it.)

Instead of re-sizing each one individually, I copied one of them. Then I selected and deleted all of the others.
Then select the one remaining and change the size in the properties panel to .75 (keep proportions checked).
Then go to Object - Duplicate.
In the next window I chose 8 columns and 10 rows and left the default spacing at 1.0.

There are all your circles.

You can then select and group them if you want and they will stay just as they are.
Attachments
Circles three quarter inch.scut3
(330.57 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Sandy in PA
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Granny1, what type of printer do you have? If it is an inkjet with a straight feed (doesn't bend the paper 180 degrees) then it might be easier to do the "print Then cut" method. You cut your circles the size that you need them, print your artwork on a plain piece of paper (use draft mode to save ink), then attach your circles over the printed images and send back through the printer the same way as the first time. I did this last year for cub scout decorations and it was much easier than trying to line everything up for print and cut using a Cricut. I wouldn't try this method using a laser printer. I would be afraid that a circle would come unstuck from the carrier sheet and mess up the printer. HTH