Using Layers in SCAL

janecristallo

Using Layers in SCAL

Post by janecristallo »

I am new to SCAL but I have been loving using it and learning. I was wondering if you can work with layers in SCAL to make a WORDBOOK. This way as you create each page with a letter you know exactly how to place it so the word is spelled out and evenly spaced.
lovebeingamom

Re: Using Layers in SCAL

Post by lovebeingamom »

I was wondering the same thing, can't wait to see an answer!
bands321

Post by bands321 »

From what I understand, you can not ... yet.

That is something that has been asked on the "Wishlist".

What I do is create my first letter, then save it as an INKSCAPE file first then SVG.. When I do my second letter I open the first INKSCAPE file, remove the letter, add two inches to it and then the next letter...then save it and continue.

HTH,
Shawn

**sorry I've been MIA, had a hysterectomy and still on bed rest...trying to type on pain meds is not a pretty picture :)
janecristallo

Post by janecristallo »

Thanks for your response. I will look into Inkscape. I haven't checked into that program yet. I am just learning SCAL this past week while I am recuperating from foot surgery! Speedy recovery!
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

I made my using SCAL only using the same principal as Shawn did.
First I took the rectangle from shapes then welded the first letter against the side of the rectangle, cut it (remembering to tick the weld box on both the rectangle and letter) then after cutting I changed the letter to the next letter in my word and extended the rectangle by whatever the width of the first letter was. Weld and cut then repeat for all the letters. Sometimes it is best to work backwards starting with the last letter so you know you will have enough length (the maximum is just under 12 inches for the length of the cutting mat)

Hope that sort of makes sense.
Raewyn
papasue

Post by papasue »

I have a question.

Why can't you just make a rectangle the max length, say 10" do one letter, cut. Change the letter, cut....etc. Now you have all your pages the same length.. Then you could lay out your pages overlapping them as you like and trim the other end of off. This takes the guesswork out of how much smaller to make each rectangle and you control the overlap. Of course you have scraps but who doesn't?

Just a thought.

papasue
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
scrappin queen

Post by scrappin queen »

That makes good sense to me!! I would have never thought of that.
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

Yes that would be a great way of doing it.
After I had made mine I had to cut the end off it all anyway because it had come out too long overall.
Great idea Papasue.

Raewyn
bsferg

Post by bsferg »

That sounds like the most reasonable way to make word books. It takes the figuring out. Thank you!!!!!
papasue

Post by papasue »

I've thought about this a bit more.

I'd make the letters shadowed so that I they are a bit bigger and I can come back later to print the same letter again un-shadowed to fill in.

I think I'd then copy each letter as I made it and paste it into another file. Unshadow before cutting.

Hmmm, now that I think I've got it straight in my head, I'll try and make MDGD one, she's 4.

Let me know if you try it before I do.

papasue

Oh here's the link to Susan Bluerobots instructions for making a wordbook. It's for CDS but you'll lean alot from it.

http://susanbluerobot.blogspot.com/2008 ... -book.html
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.