creating svg files in illustrator

jojooakes

creating svg files in illustrator

Post by jojooakes »

Hi, I am new to the forum and quite new to SCAL. So I hope someone could answer my query please.
I am creating my svg files in illustrator. If I cut a complete shape eg a square or a star this is fine as it is a closed path and I have no problems creating/cutting this. How do I create a line to cut inside the square? For example, if I want to cut a vertical line down and then a horozontal one across (to create a L shape) How do I do this as when the scal cuts it joins the ends of the L together cutting out a triangle........ The only way so far I can do it is if I expand my stroke and then the scal double cuts the L shape making a messy cut. Is that understandable. Don't know if that is very clear but don't know how else to explain.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Jo.
gj1

Re: creating svg files in illustrator

Post by gj1 »

You would have to use the pen tool in scal for those line cuts.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Unfortunately one of the quirks of SCAL is that open Paths that touch the cutting boundary are made into closed Paths. Make sure that your file doesn't touch the cutting boundary after you import it into SCAL. If I want the file near the edge of the cutting mat I use the align tools and then nudge it away. Check with the Preview before cutting to make sure it cuts the way you want. HTH
jojooakes

Post by jojooakes »

Thanks for your answer but I can't see a pen tool in my version of SCAL. I have SCAL2
jojooakes

Post by jojooakes »

Hi Heather, Yes I have discovered this and keep all my shapes within the cutting boundary ;0)
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Pen tool is 4th down in the Tools Panel.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
jojooakes

Post by jojooakes »

Hi gj1. In my tools panel i have an arrow, a T for text, a zoom +, a zoom -, and a hand. No pen :0(
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

What version of SCAL2 do you have? You may need to get the last upgrade to 2.044. Here is the link:

http://www.craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php
Sandy in PA
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I think the question was asked about how to do this in Illustrator, and the answer was meant for Illustrator, not SCAL. And, yes, you just use the line segment tool in Illustrator (fourth down on left, as gj1 said). I use it all of the time to replace dashed score lines into single straight score lines in svg files. It works really well.
jojooakes

Post by jojooakes »

Thanks Mitsim. I can make a straight line cut no problem it happens when I make an arc or and L shape as described. The two ends of the open path lines are somehow joined up when scal interprets the svg. Can I get around this?? Thanks jo