Natural Circle Monogram

Requests for finding a Font or Shape to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
rncmom

Re: Natural Circle Monogram

Post by rncmom »

I'm trying to get the monogram from a document to inkscape now. I'm having trouble but will keep working. I don't use inkscape enough to remember how to do everything....I always have to "re-learn"! Thanks for the help.
Aimitup2

Post by Aimitup2 »

I gave this a shot in Illustrator - not sure if you'll like this.

I used the "free distort" filter and altered the outside edges of the end letters.
I tried using "envelope distort" and fitting to an object but that distorts the entire letter rather than just the outside edges of the letter.

Amy
Attachments
RCE.svg
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
JCR.svg
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
MonogramTest.jpg
MonogramTest.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
rncmom

Post by rncmom »

Thanks Amy, that looks better than anything I've come up with so far!
rncmom

Post by rncmom »

Okay, I have the monogram in a pdf. How do I convert that using Inkscape? I really don't use inkscape enough to remember what to do next. I have it on the screen in inkscape. I think I have to trace bitmap????? I think I must be missing a step in between. When I go to trace bitmap & update nothing shows up??
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

You probably already have a vector. All you need to do is ungroup until "group" is no longer listed in the message bar when you click on the artwork. When it only lists "Path" you should be able to just save it as "svg". HTH
rncmom

Post by rncmom »

Thanks Heather, I just tried that. When I open in SCAL, I see the image in preview but after I click import, it just shows up as a blank. I feel like I'm missing something really easy....help?!?!?!
rncmom

Post by rncmom »

I should have said after I click "open" I can't see it.
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I have tried the free font, created it in INK, imported it into SCAL1 and it works fine.
It can also be created in INK .47 uning the envelope tool. It requires a littel tweaking but you can use different fonts

At first I created my initials but then I created the initials you needed and uploaded the .svg file.

Hope it works for u

Althea
Attachments
monogram.svg
(10.76 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (8.25 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Last edited by AnointedHands on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
rncmom

Post by rncmom »

Althea,
Wow! Thank you so much...I have two questions. #1....when I import this into SCAL & try to resize (to 3 inch circles) the R on the JCR is distorted. Everything else looks fine.
#2, when you say created it in inkscape, how did you do that??? I can't seem to get the font to work.
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I noticed the R in the top also. I suggest using a craft knife to correct since it is only that little part. It looks OK in INK but messy in SCAL. It might even cut right; if not, use the knife.

I created in INK using the font; 1st letter lowercase, second letter uppercase, and the 3rd letter has to correspond to the chart in the html file that is in the zip file you downloaded (in this case the last letter is Shift 8 (*), Path>Object to Path, select and ungroup, select all three then Path>Union.

Althea
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...