pillow box w/ score lines

Requests for finding a Font or Shape to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Re: pillow box w/ score lines

Post by jasenj1 »

schnd001 wrote:Hi - I selected the line and did path>stroke to path on the curved lines. When I cut the attached file instead of scoring, it cut out tiny ovals along the curved line. I'm new to inkscape and SCAL, so not sure it I did it correctly. Any help is appreciated.
(Please forgive me if I come across harsh. My intention is to instruct and improve. This is the Internet and it's hard to project good intentions. :))
No, you did not. You did what you meant to do, but that created a very nasty file for SCAL. The way you did it, told SCAL to do exactly what it did - cut lots of little ovals. This takes a long time, puts wear and tear on your Cricut, and can cause rips. Sensationallychic's file is not much better - it cuts a tiny little square for each perforation - also time consuming, wear & tear, and a rip hazard.

With SCAL, the fewer points the better. SCAL stops the blade at every point - which takes time and can cause rips. So a curve with a lot of points in it is much worse than a curve with two points using the "bend" handles to fit where you want. Jo-AnnB's original file is pretty good. There's not a lot of points, and the curved parts are done with the "bend" handles. SCAL will follow those curves nice and smoothly in one motion.

Unfortunately, SCAL doesn't recognize the dashed line style. For that you need to use SCAL's "line style". In the "Layers" window, expand the folder (click the little triangle) until you see all the pieces parts. Click on each of the lines that should be scored and set the line style to one of SCAL's dashed styles. SCAL will cut a little bit, raise the blade, move, and cut a bit more. These little dash cuts are much better than little ovals or boxes or the like where the blade has to go all the way around.

When I'm creating things in Inkscape, I put the cut lines and score lines in different layers. SCAL interprets these layers as groups and puts the pieces in the little folders. In SCAL, you can select a folder and change all of the line styles of all the parts in it at one time.

Hope this helps.

- Jasen.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

What a really good explanation. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain for everyone in such detail.
Sandy in PA
hkvalerio
Location: { Cali } Windows XP, Inkscape .48, SCAL2, Microsoft Digital Image Pro

Post by hkvalerio »

That was a very good explanation Jasen. Thanks for educating us.
Heather
RitaBeada

Post by RitaBeada »

One more reply.... I used the "line" choice in properties and turned an entire shape (a square in my design) into dots for my fold lines instead of full line cuts, like when you use "exclude" and such. Perfect! JUST what I needed and wanted to do. Thanks again.
Oops, meant to add this to a different area.
clet123

Post by clet123 »

jasenj1 wrote:
schnd001 wrote:Hi - I selected the line and did path>stroke to path on the curved lines. When I cut the attached file instead of scoring, it cut out tiny ovals along the curved line. I'm new to inkscape and SCAL, so not sure it I did it correctly. Any help is appreciated.
(Please forgive me if I come across harsh. My intention is to instruct and improve. This is the Internet and it's hard to project good intentions. :))
No, you did not. You did what you meant to do, but that created a very nasty file for SCAL. The way you did it, told SCAL to do exactly what it did - cut lots of little ovals. This takes a long time, puts wear and tear on your Cricut, and can cause rips. Sensationallychic's file is not much better - it cuts a tiny little square for each perforation - also time consuming, wear & tear, and a rip hazard.

With SCAL, the fewer points the better. SCAL stops the blade at every point - which takes time and can cause rips. So a curve with a lot of points in it is much worse than a curve with two points using the "bend" handles to fit where you want. Jo-AnnB's original file is pretty good. There's not a lot of points, and the curved parts are done with the "bend" handles. SCAL will follow those curves nice and smoothly in one motion.

Unfortunately, SCAL doesn't recognize the dashed line style. For that you need to use sea horse pillow style. In the "Layers" window, expand the folder (click the little triangle) until you see all the pieces parts. Click on each of the lines that should be scored and set the line style to one of SCAL's dashed styles. SCAL will cut a little bit, raise the blade, move, and cut a bit more. These little dash cuts are much better than little ovals or boxes or the like where the blade has to go all the way around.

When I'm creating things in Inkscape, I put the cut lines and score lines in different layers. SCAL interprets these layers as groups and puts the pieces in the little folders. In SCAL, you can select a folder and change all of the line styles of all the parts in it at one time.

Hope this helps.

- Jasen.
How would we compare this pillow boxes?