How Do I Ungroup an SVG image imported into SCAL?

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
chasar

How Do I Ungroup an SVG image imported into SCAL?

Post by chasar »

Hi.
I downloaded an svg file from a site. It is a baby carriage. When i imported it into scal, i noticed that there are too many lines where when it cuts, the image will fall apart (like the top of the carriage will separate, the wheels will separate, etc). I tried to weld it but it doesn't work. I tried to ungroup it but that doesn't work either. The only thing i can do is select the shadow feature to just get the outline, but then i'm missing the cute cut out heart centers of the wheels. HELP
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: How Do I Ungroup an SVG image imported into SCAL?

Post by HeatherM »

Was it a layered svg file? If it was a layered file and you have SCAL 2.0 you should be able to ungroup the layers and move pieces around (as long as they are on different layers) I have a post on my blog about using layered svg files in SCAL 2.0 here

If it isn't a layered file or you don't have SCAL 2.0 you will need to open the file in Inkscape to edit it. HTH
chasar

Post by chasar »

It's not a layered file and i do have scal2. Am i able to ungroup the image or do i still need to open in inkscape? Thanks
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

chasar wrote:It's not a layered file and i do have scal2. Am i able to ungroup the image or do i still need to open in inkscape? Thanks
Sorry, if it isn't a layered svg you will need to use Inkscape. SCAL2 can only ugroup layers, anything on one layer can't be ungrouped.
chasar

Post by chasar »

Ok, so if i open an svg file in inkscape and ungroup the layers, and then open it in scal2, then can i use the layer option to hide what i don't want to cut (in order to cut different colors)?
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

No, the pieces have to be on separate layers (like in Photoshop). I have a tut on my blog for this too. :D
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/2 ... -inkscape/
chasar

Post by chasar »

Thank you for this tutorial.
I followed your instructions up till add layer and am a little confused (sorry, i'm a newbie).
I'm not sure how to get these layers over to scal now?
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

Once you have the pieces in separate layers, simply save the file, then import it into SCAL2. You will be able to hide pieces, or ungroup the layers then move pieces. There is a Layers window that will show a folder with the file name. If there are layers in the svg you can click on the triangle next to the file name to see the layers in the file.
scal layers.png
scal layers.png (36.1 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
chasar

Post by chasar »

Got it! Thank you so much for your help and patience. I very much appreciate it!
Have a good night.
KristineMc

Post by KristineMc »

Hi, I am a newbie too and an uploading SVG files, Mine don't have different layers, but there are different peices that need to be cut onto different cardstocks, and I can't figure out how to ungroup them in Sure Cuts a LOT, or if I am to do layers I don't get the layer window at all.
Please help
Thanks
Kristine