How to Cutout a Printed Clipart Image

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
Craigg64

How to Cutout a Printed Clipart Image

Post by Craigg64 »

HI All

Well I have been thinking about this for some time and after watching the 2 videos on using the Cricut to cut 4X6 19 cent Wal-Mart Prints
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5d-nDjs ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tonaHWt ... annel_page

I thought I would give it a go. I took a slightly different approach. I must admit it is not totally all my idea as there is so much information on the various SCAL and cricut forums.

1. Draw a square in SCAL the size of your printed page. Mine is A4 (210 x 297 mm or 8.27 x 11.69 inches)

2. Position the square on the SCAL mat so that cut out can be accessed easily without unloading the mat from the Cricut. Use the X: Y: function in the SCAL properties box to position the square accurately. I positioned mine at X:3 Y:1.

3. Position a 12 x 12 piece of card stock on the mat and load the mat.

4. Then cut.

5. After cutting DO NOT UNLOAD THE MAT. Remove the cut out square. Use your cursor keys on the Cricut if you have to move the blade out of the way.

6. In Inkscape set your page size to the size you just cutout on the mat. Mine is A4.
Click the Inkscape “File” menu > “Document Properties”. Either choose from the Format Window or enter a Custom size.

7. Import Clipart you want to cut out. “File” menu > “Import” and browse for the image.
I got my picture from hear http://www.preciousmoments.com/content. ... p_art_baby

8. Place the image near the top of the page and print image on your printer on some card stock.

9. In Inkscape draw a square the same size as the page and align it to the page.
“Object” menu > “Align and Distribute” > Relative to “Page” then click “Align Left” and then “Align Bottom”

10. Use the paint bucket method to trace around the image. I will not describe this as there are plenty of instructions already. You will need to break the resulting trace apart and delete some parts. Only leave the outline around your clipart and the original square page you drew.

11. This next step is up to you. If you want the cutout to be right on the edge of the clipart just delete the clipart image and save the SVG.
Or. If you want a border around the clipart like some stickers do, select the outline around the clipart and click the “Path” menu > “Outset” until you get the desired result. Now delete the clipart and save the SVG.

12 In SCAL set the font size in the Library Default Size to the hight of your page you printed. Mine was 11.69 inches for A4.

13. Import the SVG. Position it to fit in the original square window you cutout. Use the SCAL properties box to position it accurately.

14. Carefully position your printed clipart image in the cut out window on the mat. The cross your fingers and cut.

15. It will cut the square for the page a couple of times but all going well it should cut around your picture also.

16. If you don’t unload the mat after cutting you can cut as many printouts you like. Once the mat is unloaded I have noticed that the alignment is slightly off. If you took the option of having a border around the clipart then you may be satisfied with the alignment issue.

I have included the SCUT file of the Square cutout window I used and the SVG . Download the Clipart from the link I provided and position it in the SVG just in case someone wants to have a go.

I believe this method could also be used if you have bought printed scrapbooking pages. You will need to have the use of a scanner to import the image into Inkscape to trace though.

Have fun everyone with this. If someone wants to make a video of this method, go for it

Cheers
Craig
Attachments
Clipout Cutout Result1.jpg
Clipout Cutout Result1.jpg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
Clipart Cutout Test1.svg
(18.87 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Clipart Cut Out test.scut
(780 Bytes) Downloaded 186 times
Cheers
Craig

Windows Vista, Scal2 2.043, Inkscape 0.46
firstcut

Re: How to Cutout a Printed Clipart Image

Post by firstcut »

Hi Craig,
I guess great minds think alike. I posted a tutorial using the test cut and paint bucket to do print and cut about a week ago on another forum. I had tried the same method as you when Bob's videos first came out, but it wouldn't work for me because Inkscape on my Mac won't print true to size/position on my printer. My technique had to compensate for that. Now I think I might be able to get the first technique to work with another printer and/or driver. Did you have to use any special settings on the printer to get a true to size/position print out of Inkscape?
Craigg64

Post by Craigg64 »

firstcut wrote:Hi Craig,
I guess great minds think alike. I posted a tutorial using the test cut and paint bucket to do print and cut about a week ago on another forum. I had tried the same method as you when Bob's videos first came out, but it wouldn't work for me because Inkscape on my Mac won't print true to size/position on my printer. My technique had to compensate for that. Now I think I might be able to get the first technique to work with another printer and/or driver. Did you have to use any special settings on the printer to get a true to size/position print out of Inkscape?
I did nothing with my printer (canon). All standard settings.
I would like to see your tutorial, any chance posting here. :)
The big challange now is to make it cut the same if the mat is removed and reloaded. At the moment I am getting a slight offset.
There must be away to position the cutter on the grid of the mat and calibrate from that.

Cheers

Craig
Cheers
Craig

firstcut

Post by firstcut »

I thought I posted it last night, but I guess pdfs don't work. will try again after work.
Yes, there is a way to calibrate with the blade/mat. I use the arrow keys to navigate to the center of the mat (or any other intersection line), then read the cricut screen to see how far off I am from the nominal center. It is easier, though, I think, to just develop a consistent method of loading.
Another thing you can do is use pens on a blank mat to draw the calibration for your machine. I am working on a tutorial for that, now.
No matter what you do to calibrate, though, you are still left with the fact that the Cricut is not that accurate. If you look at the results of the square test you will see that there is a noticeable amount of creep as you get further from the starting point. We'll be able to do some cursory print and cuts with our methods, but really this is not the machine for precision work.
Kay
Craigg64

Post by Craigg64 »

HI Kay

Thanks for the reply.
You know I never thought of looking at the cricut screen to see the coordinants of the blade. typical bloke :) not willing to stop and ask for directions.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with the calibration tut.
You are quite right though the cricut is good in what it does but it is not a precision machine and we are trying to stretch its capabilty beyong what it was meant to do.

It is fun though :)

Cheers

Craig
Cheers
Craig

firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Hi again, Craig,
Here is a link to the first tutorial I mentioned. It was apparently too big to post here. I think your method would be first choice for those who can print true size & position.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zqdru5aai ... andCut.pdf
I agree, this is one fun challenge!
Kay
closeup.jpg
closeup.jpg (134.43 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
Craigg64

Post by Craigg64 »

Thanks for posting your file Kay
Unfortunately Mediafire reports an error when I go and download
"Invalid File. This error has been forwarded to MediaFire's development team.
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire. "

Cheers
Craig
Cheers
Craig

firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Must have been a temporary glitch because I just downloaded it successfully. Also checked my account to be sure it was listed as publicly available. Please try again and sorry for the inconvenience. Some people have reported problems opening the PDF itself. Hope you won't run into that, too.
Kay
Craigg64

Post by Craigg64 »

Thanks Kay

Got it now. I can also see your method working well with bought Printed Scrapbook pages.

Cheers :)
Cheers
Craig

firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Craig and all who are interested in this,
Here are some pazzles videos I found on this, using a similar technique, but easier with pazzles since you can cut directly from the design software.
Still worth watching for ideas.
http://scrappingklo.blogspot.com/search ... 20Advanced