Hook effect

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
craftedge
Site Admin

Hook effect

Post by craftedge »

This tutorial will show you how to make a shape look like it is going through a hole.

In this example we will use a ring shape with a hook shape going through the ring where the final result will look like the image below.

To start we have 2 shapes, where the bottom layer is the Hook and the top layer is the Ring.

Select the Hook and do Edit -> Copy and then Edit -> Paste in Place. This will make a copy of the Hook in the same place as the original.

Lock the original bottom Hook layer so the following operations do not affect that original Hook layer. You may also want to hide the bottom Hook layer as well so it is not visible on the screen for now.

You should now see the Hook layer has been cut into 2 parts.

Select the right half of the hook and delete it.

Select the left part of the hook and choose Path -> Close Path to make it a closed shape.

Select the Ring and left Hook layers and choose Path -> Back Minus Front.

The result should be shown below where part of the ring is removed where the hook overlapped it.

Now we can unlock and show the original bottom Hook layer, and now the right part of the hook will look like it is behind the ring and the left part of the hook is in front of the ring

wynnepam

Re: Hook effect

Post by wynnepam »

Cool
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

Thanks for the tutorial!
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

Would you please describe what to do with the knife tool?

You show a red square around it and a red arrow across the hook...and the dotted line. To me that meant to drag across the hook with the knife tool. When I do that the shapes lose their fill and I cannot choose Path -> Back Minus Front as directed a few steps after that.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Thank you.
dmeclips

Post by dmeclips »

Just hoping that the tutorial creator will see this question and reply.
:)
craftedge
Site Admin

Post by craftedge »

When you use the Knife tool, it slices the shape which would result in open paths.
After that step in the tutorial, there is a step you need to do the Path -> Close Path to close it again, and then you can apply the Back Minus Front
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

I haven't really messed around with SCAL4 yet as I've been working a lot.. But this is a great tutorial..
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

cool. love the tutorials. So many questions
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro