Shadow, triple shadow, quad shadow

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
Steph Stimson

Re: Shadow, triple shadow, quad shadow

Post by Steph Stimson »

I guess I'm still not understanding the 'weld' issue but I do understand that there is no 'group' feature as of yet, so just like in CDS the 2 individual typed letters & shape boxes will have to moved separately. Which is the same issue with both programs: not being able to 'group' separately welded elements together so they all move together on the mat. I do like that you can type the letters and shape in the same box but yet still have an individual box around each element and move them up and down (but not outside of the yellow box) to move the letter or shape out of line a bit...that's pretty cool and the whole element can be moved together...thanks for that hint, Shari!
Stephanie Stimson
Creative Memories Consultant
CMID #33596439

redhdgirl417@charter.net
http://www.mycmsite.com/sites/stephaniestimson
plg1117

Post by plg1117 »

In CDS you could get around not having a group function because you had the ability to open two mats and keep the first mat as your background on your second one - so you could do a shadow of the object on your first mat and not have to move your shadowed object or whatever to cut it.... That's what I've been trying to say you can't do in SCA.... That's why I'm keeping my Inkscape until we have the ability to group in SCA or can work on multiple mats at the same time like in CDS
plg1117

Post by plg1117 »

Steph Stimson wrote:I just did a test using just the trial of SCA (was waiting for weld to be added before I bought) and I was able to weld a square to my name...I typed my name the checked 'weld' and returned, I then typed the shape of a square, checked 'weld' then moved the square up under my name. When I hit 'preview', it shows that the two are welded together. ???? Or am I understanding PLG1117's issue?
Stephanie

My issue is not with general welding... that's easy. But when you do what is described above - then try to shadow that.... that's the issue. And yes you can do what shari suggested - move each item counting clicks as you go, but I've seen some of the complicated things that people have made with CDS and I would hate to have to do that with more than 2 or 3 items...

At first I couldn't figure out the welding/shadowing, but then quickly realized the copy/paste method is so nice and easy. I love it.

Someone started a post asking why they would still need Inkscape. I merely suggested that until grouping is a function we have I'm still going to use Inkscape for all but the basic welding/shadowing things. The group function available in Inkscape is going to be much easier than counting how many times I click my mouse :D Basically I'm lazy :D But I agree for just a couple of items in a project that would work great!
Nellyphant

Post by Nellyphant »

I'm still making what I want to cut in PaintShopPro, converting to svg and then cutting. I'm just so excited at the possibilities with SCA. For just words it's simple with SCA, but when I want something more complicated I do it in PSP. I'm sure Todd will listen to what we want - he's an absolute star with everything that he does.

Sure Cuts Alot and Craft Edge - YOU ROCK!

Nic
Craftymailmanlady

Post by Craftymailmanlady »

May I ask how you are converting your PSP files to .svg? I have PSP and it might be easier to create what I want there, since I already know the program, than to learn another program like Inkscape.

Thanks,
Diane
sboz

Post by sboz »

Conversion takes place within Inkscape. PSP can not create an .svg file.

You can create a graphics file in PSP, save as .jpeg or .bmp, bring it into Inkscape, trace, save as .svg.

Shari
Bug Safe: http://www.pbase.com/bugsafe/inbox
My Blog - "The Bug Stop" - where you can find my .cut files:
http://thebugstop.blogspot.com/
wendiwu

Post by wendiwu »

Would like to say Big Thank You to Shari! Have now managed to cut a word and a shadow! Now I'm going to ask a probably silly question - but here goes - when I have the word and the shadow showing on the cutting mat how do I get one in one colour card and the other in a different colour? Am I supposed to cut my 2 colours of card and stick them side by side on the cutting mat? See I told you it was a silly question! Sorry
Wendy :
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

I would like to see a permanent welding option as well.

Application 1: It would be so much easier to create multiple cuts on a sheet to be able to do it without having to recreate the placement each time of conjoined, or welded items.

Application 2: When I need to move an item on the mat after a test cut, to move everything exactly the way I had it before to cut to a different spot on the mat gets tedious.
sserguta

Post by sserguta »

Since I'm new to Cricut, Inkscape, and SCAL, can someone please explain the difference between the Shadow, Blackout and Shadow Blackout. When would I use these? Are they interchangeable or does one work better for different projects. Thanks.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

sserguta,
Open SCAL and go to the help menu. open Sure cuts a lot help and then click on shape properties and you will see an example of each.
These are most helpful for layering in different colors or to beef up a font that is a little too delicate for cutting.