Brand new to this, please help--font issues

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
Care_911

Brand new to this, please help--font issues

Post by Care_911 »

Hi,
I have been searching for .scut files and found two cards which I have since downloaded, but because they are designed with a dingbat font the cards are showing up as letters, not images. I've tried to download the font, downloaded it and unzipped it (it's called Halloweenies) but when I try to open the font in scal (it's TTF) it doesn't come up in the font list and the cards remain letters not images on the SCAL mat. Does it need to be somehow converted to .svg in order for SCAL to recognize a newly added font? What do I do when I want to install and use a new font on SCAL? Sorry this may be redundant but learning all this can be really confusing.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Carrie
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: Brand new to this, please help--font issues

Post by HeatherM »

I don't really know if this is the solution, or something else I happened to do, but I found that if I installed the font again it would show up.
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Care_911 wrote:Hi,
I have been searching for .scut files and found two cards which I have since downloaded, but because they are designed with a dingbat font the cards are showing up as letters, not images. I've tried to download the font, downloaded it and unzipped it (it's called Halloweenies) but when I try to open the font in scal (it's TTF) it doesn't come up in the font list and the cards remain letters not images on the SCAL mat. Does it need to be somehow converted to .svg in order for SCAL to recognize a newly added font? What do I do when I want to install and use a new font on SCAL? Sorry this may be redundant but learning all this can be really confusing.
So when you open SCAL, the Halloweenies font is not in the font list at all? Did you close SCAL and open it back up after "installing" the font? What operating system do you use? I use Windows XP and to "install" a font, I just extract it (unzip) and copy paste the extracted file to the C:\windows\fonts folder. Are you able to see the font in any other program, such as Word, or Inkscape? If you can't see it there then your operating system may not recognize it. In that case, maybe you have a bad download, bad version of the font, or you are using the compressed file and not the extracted one. If you suspect a bad download, try downloading another font from the same place and see if you have success with it. If not, then see if you can find "Halloweenies" on a different site and use it. HTH
Care_911

Post by Care_911 »

Hi :)
Thank you for the help, I was playing around with SCAL last night & managed to figure out what was wrong. All is working now, LOL.

Now if I could just get the hang of the rest of it--and remember what I did.
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

Care_911 wrote:Hi :)

Now if I could just get the hang of the rest of it--and remember what I did.
If I do something for the first time and find it has worked, I then go and do it a second time and write down the steps I took to get there as I am doing it. Then I have notes for when I want to do it again - because sure as anything I will have forgotten it by then.

I also have a piece of paper on my monitor which lists each step to converting a jpg to a svg file in Inkscape as I can never remember which step is next - and I have converted about 50 jpgs at least :D

Raewyn