Word Blackout Background ?? Help

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
tambra77

Word Blackout Background ?? Help

Post by tambra77 »

hey there.. i am not sure what to call what I am trying to do.. I saw a title on someones page (forgive me for not remembering who) It has a title across the page, then behind it was like a complete blackout of the letters so that the background followed along behind the letters in front.. (i hope that makes sense..) I drew something in inkscape (i am not that good yet, so bear with me) i have attached the file.. if someone knows what i am trying to do, please help.. or point me to a tutorial.. i really want to learn.. i have scal, inkscape and cricut expression.. thanks
Attachments
Title Question Please Help.svg
typed title, then drew around for example
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
AnointedHands

Re: Word Blackout Background ?? Help

Post by AnointedHands »

I would like to help but I am not understanding what you are trying to do.

I downloaded the file, but still confused.

Sorry
Altheaq
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

When I opened the svg in scal it only showed the outline, but if I look at the thumbnail of the picture in my files it looks as if christmas is inside the box. I'm wondering if you need to weld the letters so they show up in your box....I'm gonna try to play more...I don't really know what I'm doing but this is a good way to learn.
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

o.k. here's what I did, I opened in ink, broke it apart, deleted the inside circle then did object to path, then union...then saved...hope I got all my steps in there...here is the file I ended up with....
Attachments
Title Question1.svg
(14.67 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
tambra77

Post by tambra77 »

hey there.. The file looks great, thank you... That is one way for me to get the look I am going for.. I guess what I am trying to do is to have Merry Christmas, and behind it a big fat Merry Christmas, that is totally blacked out, so it forms the same shapes as the title Merry Christmas.. The M would sit on top of a big fat solid M and so forth.. I wish I could explain this better... Is it possible?? In Inkscape, In SCAL or DS ?? If I could find that title that I saw I'd post it for an example.. Thanks for your help with this..
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

I think you are meaning a mat behind the original letters - check out this old post http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=141

You want to copy the text you have then select it, go to Path then Outset and you will see the copy you have selected has got a bit bigger. Keep doing that until you get the mat size you want.

Hope that helps.
Raewyn
tambra77

Post by tambra77 »

That is EXACTLY it.... I've attached a file if you would not mind checking it out for me.. does that look right?? of course, move them apart before cutting..
Attachments
YEAH, It Worked.svg
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

I am pleased it worked for you. Are you using a font that you have found and saved or are you using a standard font? When I open up your svg file the text and the background mat are quite different but I am guessing that is because I don't have the font you are using.

Raewyn
tambra77

Post by tambra77 »

yep, i dl a free font called "yummy apology".. i love this font...

thanks again for pointing me to the tutorial.. I am now trying to learn how to make letters follow a path.. playing around with diff circles, spirals, etc..

hope your Christmas is very Merry...

Tam
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

That sounds great - do you have instructions for doing that? There are some on the message board on making letters go in a circle