Creating SVG Files in Illustrator?

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
bethyrv

Creating SVG Files in Illustrator?

Post by bethyrv »

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new here, so maybe I just missed it...

I have a mac and have illustrator. I did create one svg file already but there were a few goofy things that it did. Just wondering if there are any tutorials/help for creating these files with Illustrator? I see a lot for inkscape, but I would love to use what I already have and am somewhat familiar with using.

Thanks!
Beth
talanhart

Re: Creating SVG Files in Illustrator?

Post by talanhart »

I have been using Illustrator for 12 years and I might be able to answer your questions. I am actually learning some new things when I create SVG files. I don't have a Cricut, but I am having fun creating files for other people to download.
Todd
fayscrapper

Post by fayscrapper »

I did not know use can use Illustrator instead of Inkscape.
SewnAgain

Post by SewnAgain »

Here's how I am doing them. I could be wrong, I've only been at this a short while. I'm using Adobe Illustrator 9.0

Have the layer visible that you want to cut. File...export...save as type .svg

I always have a reference one inch square on the drawing that's off to the side that is also cut out. That helps me with resizing the svg properly when I'm in Sure Cuts a Lot.

In Sure Cuts a Lot, I go File.. import SVG. Then I resize the svg using the sizing handle until the one inch square matches one of the one inch squares on the cutting mat. Then I preview, cut it out, and save the file.
VinAlly
Advertising tarps, repurposed
http://www.vinally.ca
susibi

Post by susibi »

to help with resizing in SCAL -
1. make your svg file in your usual program : Illustrator, Inkscape etc
2. if using metric change the measurements to inches
3. click on the file and read off the measurements
4. Open SCAL import your svg and insert the measurements into the width and height boxes , done

This way your files, if layered, will be in proportion; if you have multiple images that import as a single file then 'select all' take a note of the measurements in inches and follow the above procedure.
Susibi
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

susibi, dan99 has a tut on changing the defalt settings on ink so you don't have to change them each time you open it, sure helped me out.
http://dan99.blogspot.com/2009/01/video ... capes.html
susibi

Post by susibi »

Thank you lovebeingamom, I know it's possible to change your preferences and default your settings as I've been working, writing tutorials and designing with Inkscape for 3 years now, but for those of us who always work metric changing temporarily to inches before exiting and noting down the measurements is less of a bother.
:) ( and I always like the easy way out !! :) :) )
Susibi
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

susibi wrote:Thank you lovebeingamom, I know it's possible to change your preferences and default your settings as I've been working, writing tutorials and designing with Inkscape for 3 years now, but for those of us who always work metric changing temporarily to inches before exiting and noting down the measurements is less of a bother.
:) ( and I always like the easy way out !! :) :) )
Susibi
I forget that this is a world wide board, the metric system never even enters my mind. I am so thankful for you and everyone else here that are so willing to share their knowledge and talent! What a great time to live in, who would have thought I would be chatting with people all over the world and never even leave my house :D Isn't it crazy to think our children have never lived in a world without at least one computer in the house? I need to stop now, I am WAY off topic.
susibi

Post by susibi »

people who chat often do ( go off topic I mean) ... that's the beauty of being able to chat and exchange ideas: you start off speaking about resizing and end up swapping recipes which by the way is still crafting related as they come under: quick ways to feed the troups while I play with SCAL :) :)
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

susibi wrote:people who chat often do ( go off topic I mean) ... that's the beauty of being able to chat and exchange ideas: you start off speaking about resizing and end up swapping recipes which by the way is still crafting related as they come under: quick ways to feed the troups while I play with SCAL :) :)
too fun!
By the way, haven't told you personally yet, but I sure appreciate you and your family being willing to protect me and mine. I love the military and pray often for their safety. BLESS YOU!