Totally confused about Inkscape and SCAL

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
charmed1

Totally confused about Inkscape and SCAL

Post by charmed1 »

I need a tutorial for total idiots. I just got scal and downloaded inkscape. I opened inkscape and am totally lost. I tried reading the tutorials and even did what it said, step by step. When I do it along with the tutorial, I still had some problems. I don't understand the path>object to path>union. I have a path, which I click and a drop box appears. I see the object to path, but when I click on it, there is no union. I see a union about 3 lines under object to path. Also, now this one is really getting to me. I downloaded the stick boy from this forum. I open it in inkscape and it shows me all the layers. I open it in scal and I see it again. My question is, how do I cut it in scal? If I open it in scal, it is like one flat sheet with all the layers side by side on it. I don't want to cut all the layers at once. I want it in different colors. How do I separate it so that I can cut it individually? How do I resize things? Another question is, why does something have to be done in inkscape, then saved, then imported to scal, when it can just be done in scal? Eg. Making a welded card. I am so new to inkscape and I have so many questions on what each thing does. I keep trying to figure it out and keep practicing everyday, but at the rate I'm going, I'm going to hit senility before I figure it out. I really would appreciate all the help I can get. I will continue reading all the tutorials I come across and I would like to thank all of you who have done these, for they are such a great help when I figure them out. Once again, THANKS for all of your help!
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Re: Totally confused about Inkscape and SCAL

Post by lindamac »

Have you tried Susan Bluerobots tutorials? They are so easy to follow. If I can follow them, anyone can. Good luck and don't give up.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I'll see If I can help a little.

One thing to remember in all steps you need to use the select tool ( the offset arrow in the toolbar) and select all images.

You go to file "import' the jpg.

You go to edit make bitmap (at this point you will have one image ontop of another, seperate the two and delete the bottom image)

You go to view and select display mode and at that point you chose outline, now you will have a blank box with a red x.

You go to path trace bitmap, you wlll have a pop up screen and change the thresholds to the setting you want. When I first started I used the default settings til I got use to playing with it. on this screen choose update. You will see a vague image in the box that looks like your original and see your original has changed with a big red x. Close the popup, move the red x off to the side and delete the X

Then you go to path again and chose break apart, you should have shadow and different sections to seperate.

Now all this is general instructions. There are after you practice awhile other instructions on cleaning up your nodes and color picking. After you practice awhile let me know and I'll help you further. It is really really easy and you might not have to have my help. If I can figure it out I'm sure you and others can too.
Grammy
charmed1

Post by charmed1 »

Thanks for the help. What I am having trouble doing and can't figure out, is...I downloaded a file from this forum. It is the older boy 0605 file. I open it in SCAL and it opens. The problem I am having is, I want to cut it, but I want to cut it using different colored paper. I want the outline in one color, the shirt in another..etc. How do I split it up? I am just learning how to use SCAL and inkscape is way beyond me at the moment. After I learn SCAL a bit more, I will try using inkscape. Inkscape seems so confusing to me because I have no knowledge of all the terms used to use it. I don't know what a vector is..etc. I will tackle SCAL first, then try to move to inkscape. THANKS again. I read some of susan bluerobots tutorials and I think she is awesome, but what she does is totally beyond my comprehension. I'm on the "turning on the computer" stage... :?: (and even that is a challenge for me)...she is on..."designing software." :lol:
Several of the members here are awesome! I thank all of them for being so helpful and awe inspiring. Thanks to all of you for sharing too!
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I think what you are telling me you have an inkscape file from the blog and you want to "import " it in scal and cut it. If it is not already broken apart and in pieces you have to break it apart and group it in what I call color groups, background in one part of the mat, flesh tones in another, whites in another and etc. This all has to be done in inkscape. Then once you have them on the mat where you want them is Select all the objects with the select tool and save them in a folder you have named so it will be easy to find. At this point it will be a svg file

One thing to remember, from Inkscape to Scal it's import not open.

Now if you are asking if you can break apart objects in Scal. I have't found a way, not for sure if it can be in this mode. You can do all your fonts though, Scal is for making ttf's into scut files and you can import clipart svg files from Inkscape but it only cuts them on your cricut, not creates them.

Inkscape is for fonts and clipart.

I know it sound hard but it really isn't. What I did was play with scal for about a week, with the fonts I have saved then to file folder I had built in my documents and thought they look pretty good, then I downloaded inscape and used line drawings to play with.

Please don't get discouraged I hope you will stick with it. Take it slow and it will all make sense and it will come to you.
Have Fun
Grammy
charmed1

Post by charmed1 »

Grammy,
Thanks for responding so quickly. Even though I am getting so frustrated and feeling like a total idiot, I keep telling myself that one day I will get it and will have so much fun with it that I will be glad I kept with it. I am so glad that I have the help of all of you experts. I got the file that I'm talking about from this forum. I imported in SCAL and it opened up. Now for dumb question #247. :lol: How do I group in inkscape? If you look at the older boy 0605 file that is on this forum, imported in SCAL, you will see that the face, smile, outline, eyes, t-shirt and pants are all together. What I want to know is, is there a way that I can cut out one piece at a time using SCAL? I want to use different colors for each piece and when I import it in SCAL, I can't break it apart so that I can cut each piece individually, or do I have to just place the different color papers on the cutting mat in the place where the parts that I want that color to be? Once again, I thank anyone who offers me their help. I hope I'm not getting anyone irritated by asking such dumb questions. I truly apologize if I'm an annoyance to anyone.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Hum! unsure how or which format you saved him. The designer has already broken him apart and if you grab the corner of the imported file you can stretch him as big as you need him and his clothes etc to be.

If you look just above his head a little to the left on the original the designer posted you will see a paper clip and it says stick boy, if you click on the paper clip a balloon popup file will open with an option that says open or save or cancel, choose save or open either one will work. If you save it in a folder find it and it is ready to import it into scal. But you also can open it from the blog by clicking on open, this will show him broken apart and in color.

If you have a design that is all togerther and not broken just choose one of the pieces, I start with the background or shadow and with the select tool drag it off to the side on the mat where you want it. I group like colors and arange them for cutting. Having the mat allows you to position them just the way you want for cutting.

One thing that isn't mentioned much is that when it is imported into scal he is no longer in color. The option on color is in inkscape and when I first started didn't use it, but from experience it is easier to track his different pieces and group them if you are designing.. I don't always keep that close of an eye on the blog, usually am working on designing or my geneology so if you want to contact me directly my email is abkfsk@swbell.net

Have a wonderful day and let me know.
Grammy
Last edited by GrammyKrausse on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhoffm02

Post by dhoffm02 »

You can put smaller than full size pieces of paper on the mat. I never thought of this at first. Just look at the layout in scal, and cut pieces of paper in the color you want for each part you want in a different color. Where the boys head and arms are...flesh color...etc. If it it layed out correctly in inkscape, the pieces won't be overlapping, so that you can see a "rectangular" area corresponding to the size paper you need. You may need a 3x5 inch piece of flesh, a 3x6 inch piece of blue, etc Put them all on the mat in the appropriate place, let the cricut cut away.

If you need to make adjustments to make the pieces not overlap, you do that in inkscape.

ANother idea, cut it out on white, then use markers to color it. Sometimes I just do white and black, mix the pieces, color the small areas.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Another thing I do is in the face I leave the eyes nose and mouth on the face and merge them together and they afer it is cut out put blue paper behind the holes in the eys and red behind for the lips. and when in you are out of pink chalk you can use you blush from your makeup. Just have to remember to seal it with clear spray.
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Nice tips dhoffm02 and Grammy. Didn't think of those.