Photoshop to Inkscape to SCAL - A Simple Pictorial

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
papasue

Photoshop to Inkscape to SCAL - A Simple Pictorial

Post by papasue »

Hi, I need some testers for my first picture tutorial on how to get an image from Photoshop to SCAL via Inkscape. I chose a very simple clipart piece so hopefully you'll have success the very first time.

I need some feedback, either here or on the blog as to what I've missed and if something went wrong.

Familiarity with PhotoShop and a smattering of Inscape is probably wise. The challenge is to go from the clipart to scal easily and quick.

Thanks so much for your help.

PapaSue
http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com/sea ... 0to%20SCAL
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (11.85 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Doriginal.jpg
Doriginal.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
AnointedHands

Re: Photoshop to Inkscape to SCAL - A Simple Pictorial

Post by AnointedHands »

If all you want is the silhouette, this is great. But if you want details, you need to do break apart to create layers...I like details. Many people might not want that or think it is too hard to do but it isn't...maybe three more steps.
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
papasue

Post by papasue »

Annointed, first THANK YOU for taking the time to review my tutorial.

Of course you are absolutely correct about details making the image come alive as opposed to being just a background. My goal was to provide something fairly simple with a few steps to complete the project. I chose the dolphin because it had few details. My thought was one could always draw in the details with a fine line pen after cutting.

I'll try to do a tutorial with break apart for the details after I get more feedback as to the value of this one.

PapaSue
Susan E

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
lynne

Post by lynne »

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do this. I have tried out your tutorial, although I am no expert with either PS or Inkscape, but here is my 2 pence worth for what it's worth.

Did your tutorial exactly as stated and it worked perfectly- clean lines and imported into scal perfectly

However I then right clicked copied the dolphin, opened inkscape pasted the picture onto blank page, then proceeded to trace bitmap etc. Admitidly I ended up with double lines but with an image this basic, it was very easy to break apart & delete them.
if I'm honest, with an image this simple it's just as easy to go straight to inkscape an do it that way- however if the image was a bit more complicated then going via PS would be better as I didn't get the double lines with the PS image.
HTH
It was PSE 6 that I used if that makes any difference.
Thank you again
Lynne
papasue

Post by papasue »

Lynne, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You did just what i was looking for.

I have been very frustrated with deleting "nodes" they seem to go all over everywhere and I can't track them, but you are undoubtedly more proficient than I am. There must be something I missed in deleting the double lines and I'll try again to figure it out.

My goal was to make it as simple as possible for the "first timer" and I hope with more exposer they will learn to deal with nodes.

I really appreciate your time.

susan
Susan E

eClips2.