Tip: Faux Welding

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
DebS3786

Tip: Faux Welding

Post by DebS3786 »

Everyone else may have already figured this out, but I have discovered that by welding words to a narrow rectangular strip underneath the word, I can quickly create connected letters. This is faster than welding letters together and gives me words with nice even spaces between the letters. Here are simple instructions.
1. Type a word or phrase and size to desired dimensions, make sure the welding box is clicked.
2. Using the basic shapes from SCAL, choose the rectangle and size to a narrow strip as long as your word or phrase. Make sure the welding box has clicked.
3. Position the regtangular strip underneath the word so it is just touching the bottom of the letters. For letters that descend below the base line (g, p, y, j,q) if you make the strip narrow enough the descending part will be visable below the line.
4. Cut
5. A piece of ribbon or other embellishment over the "base line" can hide the attaching rectangle on your layout.

This doesn't work in every situation, but is a quick trick when you need to create a word or phrase in a hurry.
papasue

Re: Tip: Faux Welding

Post by papasue »

I've taken to doing it this way too. TKS

I think Susan Blue Robot has a tutorial on it as well.

papasue
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
SharonV

Post by SharonV »

Thanks for this tip!! I didn't know about it and will give it a try :)
SharonV

A Birth Certificate shows you were born.
A Death Certificate shows you died.
A Completed Scrapbook shows that you LIVED!!!!

http://scrapandstamp.wordpress.com/
neelie338

Post by neelie338 »

Thanks for the post.....I didnt know you could type into scal.....i was using Inkscape to type....thanks...but I dont have any basic shapes under the shapes part...how do you get the basic shapes installed? neelie
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

You should have the shapes. In the Library window where you see the fonts, click on the Shapes tab. If you don't have the fonts window, from the menu, click on Edit, Preferences, then click on the Restore Defaults button on the General tab.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

This is an AWESOME idea...not just a time saver...it helps keep track of all those pieces! I took names for my kids to Sunday School and having them joined helped so much!

Also, you can use other shapes like swirls to run through the background to "weld" them together.

This is especially helpful for letters that aren't that readable when you bump them together! GREAT IDEA! Thanks so much for sharing! It may have been shared somewhere else on a blog, but I probably would never have found it! Keep it up!