pdf to SCAL via Inkscape

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
susibi

pdf to SCAL via Inkscape

Post by susibi »

The new version ( 0.46) of Inkscape allows us to import pdf files.
The great thing with a line drawing pdf file is it's ready for cutting - just import to Inkscape, save as .svg and import to SCAL no need to manipulate - if there are any extra lines then in Inkscape select all the template, Object>Ungroup and delete the extra lines. Remember that what Cricut finds Cricut cuts so the outlines should be as clean as possible and any fold lines should be deleted.
If you have a pdf file of a coloured image then it needs to be traced
( Path>Trace bit map ) then saved as.svg.
To resize your template correctly in SCAL: change the units box to inches in Inkscape, select all the template, make a note of the height and width, save as .svg and insert those values in the properties menu in SCAL.

Susibi :D
Last edited by susibi on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jancy

Re: pdf to SCAL via Inkscape

Post by jancy »

so, does this mean that we can use/import coloring page drawings & eliminate the double line easily & cut?

that would be GREAT if that is what we can do now.
susibi

Post by susibi »

I make my own gsd templates. If I eliminate the fold lines, make a pdf of the outline, open in Inkscape then save as .svg it imports to SCAL as a cutting file; hassle free! Great so can cut my templates in a thicker material in a bigger size!
If you have Wishblade .gsds you could try doing the same.
I can't see why it shouldn't be the same for a colouring book type drawing.
jancy

Post by jancy »

oh WOW. that's AMAZING. easy way to convert gsd files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for my birthday to get here so that I can buy SCAL!!!!!!!!! I hope the price doesn't increase in the next couple of months.

thanks for the info.

need to go DL that newest version of inkscape :)
jancy

Post by jancy »

ok. I dl the newest version & tried it. didn't work & couldn't figure out how to get rid of double lines.

ungroup did not work, I still had to go to path: break apart & delete the extra line.

I used a simple star to work with.

I wonder if there is an option to eliminate double lines when tracing or trace only inbetween the lines---I think either the KNK software or Pazzles software does have that option.

Need to play & read the Inkscape manual more when I have time.
susibi

Post by susibi »

remember - you don't need to trace in Inkscape - just open the pdf and save as is.
I tried it and it worked - I've also done a tut but it's on the other pc and the Forum still won't accept .pdf format.
lynne

Post by lynne »

To save a gsd as a pdf doc do I have to open the gsd first and do a save as? I'm assumming I do.
Problem is how do I open a gsd doc? i cant open it in Adobe can I? I do have wishblad software but it's on a diferent pc to the one that has my inkscape on, so I'm stuck and cant work out how to do this. Or am i being really stupid?
Lynne
Lynne
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

The great thing with a line drawing pdf file is it's ready for cutting - just import to Inkscape, save as .svg and import to SCAL no need to manipulate
I did exactly that and nothing shows up in SCAL but an empty red box. My jpg transformed to svg is not there. One thing to note is is that there are a two different .svg file formats you can choose from: Inkscape SVG or Plain SVG. I get the impression that Inkscape may or may not see files saved as plain. I tried both file extensions and get the same results in SCAL: a placeholder for my image, but no image. Is there another step I need to take? I saved a jpg from http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-i ... tes-9.shtm (right-click save image as ...jpg.)
lynne

Post by lynne »

Are you importing or opening in SCAL? You need to import
Lynne
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Are you importing or opening in SCAL? You need to import
I imported in SCAL.