pdf to SCAL via Inkscape

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
susibi

Re: pdf to SCAL via Inkscape

Post by susibi »

a pdf file prints what it sees and gsd files are cutline files - so make sure that you go to Print settings and tick the print cut lines settings. Then when you open your pdf in Inkscape they should be visible. If your resulting svg is invisible try selecting all the template and Path>object to path before saving as .svg. This will normally solve most 'invisible' importing problems.
Susibi :D
dgharris573

Post by dgharris573 »

I am having the same problem where the PDF files I am importing...and even simple shapes I draw...are importing as a red box with nothing in it. I am being dense, I can't seem to follow the instructions to get my shapes to show. What settings am I changing? In My Computer, Inkscape, or Adobe? Any help is surely appreciated, thanks!
jancy

Post by jancy »

dgharris573 wrote:I am having the same problem where the PDF files I am importing...and even simple shapes I draw...are importing as a red box with nothing in it. I am being dense, I can't seem to follow the instructions to get my shapes to show. What settings am I changing? In My Computer, Inkscape, or Adobe? Any help is surely appreciated, thanks!
it will do that in inkscape if you have your settings on "outline" you can see the image if you select 'normal' instead of outline or you can just go ahed & trace anyway & delete the one that is the red X.
dgharris573

Post by dgharris573 »

I am still not following. Where are these settings? I can see my shape in Inkscape just fine. When I try to import into SCAL, I get a red box with nothing in it. There is no red X. What settings do I need to change in which program?
jancy

Post by jancy »

dgharris573 wrote:I am still not following. Where are these settings? I can see my shape in Inkscape just fine. When I try to import into SCAL, I get a red box with nothing in it. There is no red X. What settings do I need to change in which program?

sorry--this is the inkscape section of the board, so I assumed you meant in inkscape.

since you are seeing that in scal, I'm thinking that you didn't trace your image in inkscape before saving as an svg file.

in inkscape, go to path: object to path: path: trace bitmap. a window will pop up. set the top option to 0.650 & click ok. now you have traced your image & can save as an svg & it should show up in scal.

if this is not working for you, try reading the tutorials on this board & they should help you out a lot.
dgharris573

Post by dgharris573 »

Thanks for the help, I sure appreciate it. I am actually trying to import a PDF to SCAL via inkscape and that didn't work for me, so I tried just a simple shape. No matter what I do, even following your instructions, I get nothing but a blank box when I import into SCAL. I downloaded someone else's SVG files and those I can import into SCAL just fine. I did update my Inkscape so I am on version 46. I can't imagine what I am missing. I feel like I've been through all the tutorials, I'll try tonight on my laptop and see if I have any luck there.
jancy

Post by jancy »

dgharris573 wrote:Thanks for the help, I sure appreciate it. I am actually trying to import a PDF to SCAL via inkscape and that didn't work for me, so I tried just a simple shape. No matter what I do, even following your instructions, I get nothing but a blank box when I import into SCAL. I downloaded someone else's SVG files and those I can import into SCAL just fine. I did update my Inkscape so I am on version 46. I can't imagine what I am missing. I feel like I've been through all the tutorials, I'll try tonight on my laptop and see if I have any luck there.
sounds like you are not tracing the image, but whatever it is, I'm sure it's a simple step that you're missing--it always is.

don't give up, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
dgharris573

Post by dgharris573 »

I think I figured it out! On the "trace bit map" window there is a check box for "remove background". When I check that and save, everything is good. I am totally a "click until you figure it out" kinda gal. THanks again!!
susibi

Post by susibi »

If you look at the tut 'How to' gsd to Scal and ignor the first frame just start from the pdf part. You will see that I open the pdf I made, then just flip it ( otherwise SCAL opens it upside down) and save as .svg, it opened perfectly in SCAL, ready for cutting.
I started with a gsd because I'd had been asked how to convert one, but the pdf technique is the same.
lynne

Post by lynne »

susibi wrote:If you look at the tut 'How to' gsd to Scal and ignor the first frame just start from the pdf part. You will see that I open the pdf I made, then just flip it ( otherwise SCAL opens it upside down) and save as .svg, it opened perfectly in SCAL, ready for cutting.
I started with a gsd because I'd had been asked how to convert one, but the pdf technique is the same.
Sorry can you point me in the right direction for the above- I've looked all over and cant find it
Lynne