Tips & quirky things about inkscape

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
jancy

Tips & quirky things about inkscape

Post by jancy »

this thread is for a list of quick things, not step by step directions on how to do or make something.

please add to this as you discover them :)

*If you don't install your fonts on your computer & do use a font organizer, you must first have the font you want to use open in your organizer BEFORE opening inkscape to be able to use that font.

*Not all fonts will open in inkscape--don't know why.

*you can trace any shape easily in inkscape. make your cut in black, scan & save, then open that image in inkscape & autotrace.
Last edited by jancy on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
sboz

Re: Tips & quirky things about inkscape

Post by sboz »

Jancy,

Thanks for all your tips on Inkscape! I am sure there will be more as we gain experience with this program. Let's keep this list going!

Shari
Bug Safe: http://www.pbase.com/bugsafe/inbox
My Blog - "The Bug Stop" - where you can find my .cut files:
http://thebugstop.blogspot.com/
SJ5

Rotating letters to weld

Post by SJ5 »

I've worked out how to rotate the individual letters or any shape. Left click twice on the letter and a small cross appears in the middle, then just grab one of the arrows at the side of it, and you can turn it around.

Sheila
susibi

Re: Tips & quirky things about inkscape

Post by susibi »

How to weld script type fonts:
instead of doing the Path >Union method for script type fonts ( eg. English hand Scriptina)
Type your word
Place your cursor between each letter, hold down Alt and use your arrow key to move the letters to the left . When all the word is joined select the word and Path>Outset -if you think the welded word is too chunky, select Path>Inset to slim it down a bit.
Susibi :D
PS. Have a read of the Inkscape help files - they are full of tips and tricks and keyboard shortcuts to make life easier. ;)