Getting Started in Inkscape

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
savnrmemries

Getting Started in Inkscape

Post by savnrmemries »

Anyone know if there is a tip sheet out there for getting started in Inkscape? I've been through the tutorials (Thanks for all the links), but I'm looking for something explaining Q&E the commands in Inkscape (i.e. Path>Union) and why/when to the command?

OK - I know why to use Path>union (for welding right?), but what about some of the others? If there isn't one out there I'm thinking of starting one myself just to keep things straight until I get more experience in inkscape.

TIA
Diana
susibi

Re: Getting Started in Inkscape

Post by susibi »

The three tutorials I've written show you how to get started with shapes, writing, making frames and basic welding in Inkscape.
http://www.craftedge.com/tutorials/tutorials.html
Telling people why they have to do things can so often be confusing for new users so I've stuck to basics, you can drive a car without knowing how the engine works! Once you have got the basic welding then try out the other commands for yourself.
Path>Exclusion to make frames etc.

We talk a lot about 'paths' - a path can be closed ( circle square etc) or open ( line,arc etc). Just as you can't mix oil ad water you can't weld shapes that have different properties so this is why the Path>Object to pathworks - it converts your shapes to a common language ( ie paths) Path>Union is used for uniting the paths ie.giving your shapes a common outline.
If you scroll down here there tips on how to make fold lines in inkscape using the Path>line to path command.
If you go to the Paperthreads forum there is one of my tutorials which teaches you how to create your own shapes using basic shapes and the Path>union command. If you go to the UK Scrappers Craft ROBO Forum tutorial section a group of us have done tutorials teaching you how to do most everything in Inkscape , including the use of the Pattern to Path command to make scallops, lattice etc.
If you click on the help button in Inkscape you'll find a very comprehensive user manual and some basic tutorials.
But the best way to learn is to experiment, experiment. experiment.
HTH
Susibi :D
Last edited by susibi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
savnrmemries

Post by savnrmemries »

Your explanations are great and I have checked out your tutorials ... they are awesome as well. I come from a programming background and yet have never worked with vectors or graphics so this is fairly new to me. Your explanations will help and I'm sure that the more I use the software, the more sense they will make to me.

Thanks
Diana
My3Boys

Post by My3Boys »

i am going to have to check out those tutorials - i also need to download inkscape!