Adina.Toponak

Re: curved text / text on path in inkscape

Post by Adina.Toponak »

I did it too!!

Thanks for the great instructions!
Jax

Post by Jax »

This was a really cool instruction and I ended up using it for a circular shape which was great but when I went to import it to SCAL the letters were all messed up and it gave an error of
"The SVG file contains embedded images and/or fonts and will not be displayed. All images and fonts in a SVG must be converted to outlines first."

Wondering if I missed a step in the process. Other than that Inkscape was pretty easy to navigate with your instructions.
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

If you are using Inkscape 0.47 you should select the text and use Path/Union instead of Path/Object to Path. The error message just means that there is either unconverted text or an embedded image in the file. As long as you have what you need when you import the file, the message doesn't matter.

I have a tutorial on my blog with more on putting text on a path.
Firstcut has a tutorial on her blog about using word art in MS Word here.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

And here's a brand new update as of today. You can create your curved text in MSWord wordart and use the print to SVG procedure to go straight to SCAL2 without Inkscape!

http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2010 ... -cutfiles/

I love Inkscape and loathe Microsoft, but to me word art is sooo much easier to get the look you want, like having the words on the bottom right side up automatically, for instance. And now, with print to SVG it is so easy to get it into SCAL1 or 2.

Be sure you a black outline and no fill for the word art when using PDFCreator to print to svg. This is different from what is needed in my other procedure based on the no longer available SVGFactory.
sserguta

Post by sserguta »

You can also create circle text in Microsoft Word and save it as a jpg, then trace it into SCAL.