Working with Inkscape (Long post)

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
BLBS27

Working with Inkscape (Long post)

Post by BLBS27 »

This is what has work for me when working with Inkscape

Import your image if it not an svg file

Go to file , click save as ________ svg.

Click VIEW, click DISPLAY MODE, click OUTLINE ( a red x appears where the picture is)

Click PATH, click TRACE BITMAP(another small box/window will appear), click brightness cutoff (adjust to your satifaction) with threshold,
Click update, click ok, and close this box/window the outline of your image should now appear on the screen.

Click on the red x and delete it.

Click on image, click on PATH, click on BREAK APART(small squares will appear over the different sections that can now be moved to create your layers.

Once you've moved everything that can be moved. Click on the image
Click on the pointer with the the three squares on the left side, click on PATH click on SIMPLIFY, click on the squares on the parts you don't want and click delete, this should help you remove the second lines you get when you import some images.

I know this is long and I do apologize, but I hope this has help .
Laurieinaz

Re: Working with Inkscape (Long post)

Post by Laurieinaz »

Thank you for the instructions. Will the various pieces of the object be to scale when you import into SCAL? I tried this once and they weren't but I can't recall the specific steps I used...
hbennett

Post by hbennett »

My objects have not been to scale, so I did put a box around some so that it was cutting an outline in order to fix this (on layered images where it was very important to have the right size)... the objects all went into SCAL based on the size setting to the right. I am also using a font creator... then no need for inkscape and all images go in the proper size.
kkrewtea

Post by kkrewtea »

OK I'm trying this...I'm at break apart and have the little boxes but I can't seem to move them individually! Help!!!

Shirl
jancy

Post by jancy »

kkrewtea wrote:OK I'm trying this...I'm at break apart and have the little boxes but I can't seem to move them individually! Help!!!
click off the image & then click back on each piece to move, edit or delete.
kkrewtea

Post by kkrewtea »

YAHOO!!!! I was trying to do it with the little boxes!!!! THANKS!

Shirl
TracyDAZ

Post by TracyDAZ »

This helped me IMMENSELY!!!!! THANK YOU!!!
susibi

Post by susibi »

To make things easier try working in normal mode when tracing then after you've traced and got the outline change to outline mode - this stops the red X appearing.
Susibi :D
fyoung68

Post by fyoung68 »

Hi,

just to say a great big thank you...I had originally downloaded inskscape to use with my craft robo but had not really utilised it. I have recently been given a cricut machine and with the scal software have been interested in making more use of inkscape and your post was brilliant..easy to follow, and I got results after the first time I read through and applied your instructions...I got some lovely silhouettes.

Thank you from a grateful inkscaper.