Help

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
JustAnsa

Help

Post by JustAnsa »

Ok I downloaded inkscape and paid 2.99 to do so...
but for the life of me...i cant figure this whole thing out.
I had one attempt of a heart with flames but when I opened it in SCAL it got a doubleline outline of the image.
Not what I wanted.
No matter what I bring into inkscape and do the bitmap trace....i get a double line outline of it,.

what I need is the most BASIC instructions, preferably a video tutorial on how to make a svg from an image....
I thought if I could teach myself to use PSP and SWISH and some basic html.......How hard could this be....boy...was I wrong.
I cant tell you how frustrated I am.......
firstcut

Re: Help

Post by firstcut »

If you are getting double lines I assume it is because you are tracing line art. Inkscape traces the outline of anything black (or whatever color), which means it traces both sides of the line. You need to select the line (inner or outer) that you don't want and delete it. Using the Outline View is extremely helpful (View>Display Mode>Outline) for this and in general to make sure files are ready for cutting.

If that doesn't work or for future reference, a searchable list of Cricut-related video tutorials is here:
http://www.furl.net/member/CricupediaTV

There is one from Dan that might help but it does not address the double line problem
http://dan99.blogspot.com/2009/01/video ... o-svg.html
JustAnsa

Post by JustAnsa »

You need to select the line (inner or outer) that you don't want and delete it. Using the Outline View is extremely helpful (View>Display Mode>Outline) for this and in general to make sure files are ready

ok..ive followed up to here.and I do see the double line...how do I select which one i want to delete....and do you mean "cut"
sorry...but I really need more details....
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

Try this instruction form Susan Bluerobot - I think it should help you with double lines.

http://susanbluerobot.blogspot.com/2008 ... ouble.html

Raewyn
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

JustAnsa wrote:Ok I downloaded inkscape and paid 2.99 to do so...
Inkscape is a free program, you should not have had to pay anything for it.
JustAnsa

Post by JustAnsa »

Hmmmm then why did I pay 2.99?
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

I wondered why you paid $2.99, too, but don't worry about it too much. Inkscape will be well worth it!
sambobbitt

Post by sambobbitt »

If it makes you feel better I would pay more than $3 for it if I knew what I know now about what it is cable of doing. In other words-you'll get your money's worth-shame on whoever is selling a open source program. Hopefully it will always be free. Good luck!