How Do I??????

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
Team_mom

How Do I??????

Post by Team_mom »

I need to make one larger logo and one smaller so I can layer them. I am planning on cutting the larger logo on silver vinyl and layering the smaller cut on purple vinyl. I just don't know how to change the size to make two layers.
Attachments
cheer09outline.svg
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
firstcut

Re: How Do I??????

Post by firstcut »

Open this in Inkscape and click on the logo you want to be largest. Drag the arrows at the corners until you get it the size you want it. Holding down the control key while you drag will resize the image proportionally. Then do the same thing with the logo you want smaller. Drag it on top of the other logo to be sure it looks how you want it to, then drag it away so that you will have the 2 separate outlines the right sizes but separate. Be sure that everything is converted to path (Path>Object to Path). You can either save it like this, import into SCAL and put both colors of vinyl on the mat at the same time; or you can save each separately, note the height of each and use that when you bring them into SCAL to get them back to their proper relative size for cutting separately.
raewyn64

Post by raewyn64 »

If you are wanting to make a mat for each of them, once you have the image the size you want, copy it and then go path - Outset and that will make it mat a little larger but keeping everything correct sizewise. Just keep doing Path - Outset until the mat is the size you want it.

Raewyn
Team_mom

Post by Team_mom »

raewyn64 wrote:If you are wanting to make a mat for each of them, once you have the image the size you want, copy it and then go path - Outset and that will make it mat a little larger but keeping everything correct sizewise. Just keep doing Path - Outset until the mat is the size you want it.

Raewyn
I've tried path/outset, it rounds the letters. I want to keep them looking just like the original.
Team_mom

Post by Team_mom »

Ok, let me clarify.......

Don't pay any attention to the "all stars" part of the logo, I am not using that part. What I am trying to accomplish is making a vinyl window decal of just the "Top Notch" part. I want it to look just like the logo (ie: I want it to be purple with a silver lining). Therefore, I need to somehow make it cut so that I have a somewhat larger version of the "Top Notch" that I can cut in silver and a smaller version that I can cut in purple and then layer them one on top of the other.

Resizing it, even when keeping it in proportion, changes the entire size and would not layer properly. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to do this!

Someone's got to know how to do this.....
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Sorry we misunderstood. In that case select the logo, choose stroke to path from the Path menu and then choose break apart from the Path menu. From there just select the purple parts and drag them away from the silver parts. That should get you pretty much what you are looking for.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

She can't separate the colors, because the gray parts were made by using a stroke of 100 pixels, and it isn't really there.

If you handle the stars and the letters in two different ways I think you can get what you are looking for.
1 Make a new copy of the logo in the same file for reference.
2 Change the stroke style to 0.1 pixels
3 Make a new copy of the stars, leave it to the side. Select one set of stars in the logo, Path/exclusion, do the same for the other set.
4 Size the logo to the size you want it
5 Control D, then click on a color at the bottom of the screen that is different from the bottom layer.
6 Path/Inset until the top layer is the right size for the purple part of your letters, ignore the stars.
7 Resize and use the stars that were set aside earlier to replace the distorted stars in the inset logo (Delete the distorted stars)
8 Delete the original, and any other extra bits
9 Make a copy of both new sets for making your cutout. Move and delete pieces as needed for cutting.
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

OK, how is this one?

I realized after the previous post that in order to get the outline right, I would have to change the stroke color on the original file, export bitmap, and trace the exported bitmap. The rest was pretty much the same.
Attachments
cheer outline2.svg
(36.76 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

I certainly don't want to argue with Heather, who is always so helpful around here, but maybe this is a tip even she didn't know about.
When you use stroke to path (as opposed to object to path, it outlines the strokes, which makes it very handy in cases like this where a layer is really "not there". Most of the time we are trying to go from a double line to a single one, but this command lets us go from a single line to a double one.
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

Cool, I didn't know that. It would have been a lot easier. :lol: