how 2 make basic shapes solid?

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
pixiesdelight

how 2 make basic shapes solid?

Post by pixiesdelight »

How do I fill a basic shape in to make it solid on INkscape? Any help or point to a tutorial greatly appreciated!
Lisa
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: how 2 make basic shapes solid?

Post by HeatherM »

What are you trying to do?
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

If you are just trying to do it in Inkscape for print or display purposes you do it with the fill settings on the bottom left hand corner of the page. In most cases, just click the shape, then click on one of the colors along the bottom of the window and the shape will fill with that color. Be sure you are in normal view mode and not outline mode.

If you want to create a file that fills in with Cricut markers, that is quite a bit more complicated. I just put up a video tut on my blog about this last week.
pixiesdelight

Post by pixiesdelight »

I am making some paper piecing patterns into SVG cut files for a friend of mine. I was hoping that filling image in would do away with the double cut lines. I know how to get rid of double lines but on these particular patterens it isnt a visible double line. Before you cut them you wouldnt know they were there and they are sliver thin. I am able to fill some of the pieces but not all. I suspect that is because the ones I am trying to do and cant get results are 2 seperate lines (which are joined, like 1/2 of a heart and 1/2 of a heart placed together to make one heart) Any advice greatly appreciated. This chore is taking way too long the way I was doing them (opening in paint and then filling in there and having to manually go around all of the edges with fill too becasue the fill didnt color it in all the way.) and then opening that file in inkscape and saving as a svg file
Help please!!!!
Lisa
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Without seeing the file, I think your best bet would be to edit the nodes in inkscape. Using fill in inkscape doesn't change how it cuts. If you want to post the file, someone will take a look at it.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Hello Pixiesdelight:
When you made your paper piecing svg's did you break them apart and seperate them into seperate groups to cut out, example, if it is a child you would have the background then you would seperate skin colors face, legs arms etc. then maybe the colors in the clothing. after you have gathered all your groups on the mate the way you want them then you will have single layers that you can cut. If it is ttf's, I have never had the problem of double layers in Inkscape. Although I haven't rulled it out. The thing the double layers means there are layers on your svg that needs seperated. Hope this helps
:) Grammy
pixiesdelight

Post by pixiesdelight »

I will try to post the file to show you guys what I mean. I have never posted a file here, off to figure that out....my brain hurts LOL
Lisa