Fill in open spots in inkscape to make a cuttable svg?

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
pjroat

Fill in open spots in inkscape to make a cuttable svg?

Post by pjroat »

I tried to search around to look this up but I'm not sure what to search. So when I trace bitmap my image in inkscape it has open spots (black outline is missing in spots). How do I fill in those spots to make it a solid outline I can cleanly cut?
mommyshome

Re: Fill in open spots in inkscape to make a cuttable svg?

Post by mommyshome »

I've ran in to this a few times. I normally just trace it myself when this happens. I'll be curious to see if someone has a more efficient way to do this.
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
newbiecat

Post by newbiecat »

Morning - can you post an example of the file you are having a problem with - there are a couple of ways to try depending on the shape of the file and the size of the gaps

Happy to to post methods when I know what it is you are trying to do

Pandora :)
Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

yes, an picture would be best, but you could go into the node view and delete the nodes that are causing you issues. Or path/break apart and then delete the paths that are causing you issues, and then Path/Combine to put it all back together or Path/Union to get just the outline of all the pieces together without deleting all the middle pieces. So, see, an image would be best to help explain what would be the best method.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

The paint bucket tool is great for this. Towards the end this video shows how to use it when there are gaps.
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2010 ... ics-video/
pjroat

Post by pjroat »

Here is the file. My goal is to do a print and cut which I've never done either and put it on an invitation.
papasue

Post by papasue »

Hi, you didn't post the file.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
pjroat

Post by pjroat »

I give up....I can't get it to post a file of picture. It never stops uploading. Thanks for the help :)
pjroat

Post by pjroat »

Thanks everybody! I sat all day and watched video after video and finally figured it out! I really appreciate the help! I will post a pic of the finished invites after the weekend.
newbiecat

Post by newbiecat »

if your picture wont upload it is sometimes because it is too big, try resizing and save as smaller file

looking forward to seeing the finished article well done for slogging through till you worked it out

:)
Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,