Craft Edge

Sure Cuts A Lot Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:07 pm 

For me weeding lines are essential as I do a lot of vinyl cutting and without them weeding large and intricate cuts is near on impossible, for this reason (mostly) I do not use SCAL very much and stick with the ridiculously expensive Signcut Pro.

However, that is set to change, I have finally found a way to quickly and easily create detailed weeding lines in Inkscape which can be saved along with the file. Now I can create the file and incorporate the weeding lines into it so cutting is a simple matter of opening the file and sending to cut - in Signcut pro I have to add the weeding lines every time and you can bet that 2 out of 5 times I forget to add them!

If you do not know what weeding lines are or why they are important this picture should illustrate, this is only a small part of the entire file and i think you should be able to see how the weeding lines make it much easier to remove the scrap vinyl in strips rather than one 700 x 500mm lump!

Attachment:
Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG [ 91.75 KiB | Viewed 3460 times ]

If you wish to download or view the PDF tutorial you can find it on my blog at http://www.bratpack.org.uk/2012/09/inks ... -mtc-scal/

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm 

You are just sooooo smart, Louise! AND, I am so happy to see your post here...thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:40 pm 

gj1 wrote:
You are just sooooo smart, Louise! AND, I am so happy to see your post here...thank you!

I have been up to my neck in it, absolutely not a free minute to myself! I should be working now but I have taken a couple of hours out to do something more interesting instead before I go completely mad!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 pm 

Bravo, Louise!
I am able to use this same technique in Silhouette Studio Design Edition using the sketch tool to create the hatching. A great timesaver!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 am 

Very neat!! I always use my xacto knife for this, thanks for sharing!!