Creating almost automatic detailed vinyl weeding lines

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
Louise-Paisley

Creating almost automatic detailed vinyl weeding lines

Post by Louise-Paisley »

For me weeding lines are essential as I do a lot of vinyl cutting and without them weeding large and intricate cuts is near on impossible, for this reason (mostly) I do not use SCAL very much and stick with the ridiculously expensive Signcut Pro.

However, that is set to change, I have finally found a way to quickly and easily create detailed weeding lines in Inkscape which can be saved along with the file. Now I can create the file and incorporate the weeding lines into it so cutting is a simple matter of opening the file and sending to cut - in Signcut pro I have to add the weeding lines every time and you can bet that 2 out of 5 times I forget to add them!

If you do not know what weeding lines are or why they are important this picture should illustrate, this is only a small part of the entire file and i think you should be able to see how the weeding lines make it much easier to remove the scrap vinyl in strips rather than one 700 x 500mm lump!
Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (91.75 KiB) Viewed 9526 times
If you wish to download or view the PDF tutorial you can find it on my blog at http://www.bratpack.org.uk/2012/09/inks ... -mtc-scal/

Enjoy
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
gj1

Re: Creating almost automatic detailed vinyl weeding lines

Post by gj1 »

You are just sooooo smart, Louise! AND, I am so happy to see your post here...thank you!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

gj1 wrote:You are just sooooo smart, Louise! AND, I am so happy to see your post here...thank you!
I have been up to my neck in it, absolutely not a free minute to myself! I should be working now but I have taken a couple of hours out to do something more interesting instead before I go completely mad!
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Bravo, Louise!
I am able to use this same technique in Silhouette Studio Design Edition using the sketch tool to create the hatching. A great timesaver!
angel

Post by angel »

Very neat!! I always use my xacto knife for this, thanks for sharing!!