Beginner! Big Time!

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
Twilighter

Beginner! Big Time!

Post by Twilighter »

Hi, I am very new beginner! I have had Scal for about 3 years. I was worried it would not work with my cricut any longer because I had to update my Cricut. But good news! It still cuts and I have the latest installment. Even better news, I bought a Cricut Cake machine right around Thanksgiving. And she too, cut with Scal!!! HEY!
But, I am looking for help in downloading, font installment in to Scal, and a tutorial for beginners in Inkscape and downloading.
I hope that makes sense, I downloaded some free fonts from Lettering Delights and they do not show up in Scal? I went to help bar and read up about it. But still they do not show up, and they are so cute!
I work at a school and cut many things for them, this would just be icing on the cake.

I would appreciate any help!
Thank you so much and Happy New Year to you all!!!

Twilighter
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Re: Beginner! Big Time!

Post by DogCarbon »

The fonts need to be installed on your computer first, or at least opened. Please tell us some more about which version of SCAL you have, and what type of computer you have and operating system because all this info is necessary to give you the right answer quickly. (see right below my name is all my useful info)

Lettering Delights is a wonderful site full of great things!

As for inkscape beginnings... i use version 0.46, as there seems to be less bugs with this version. I am not up on the most current versions, but I do know there is at least 0.47.

The way I self taught myself inkscape that helped everything to start to click was to utilize the following start to finish tutorial. It is not a video, but 154 screen captures that SHOWED me exactly what to do. She utilized a free dingbat (a font with images) called Laurie'sCountry (google for it) and cleaned up an image from that dingbat. I had this webpage open, along with inkscape and followed along, making my screen look like her screens.

http://susanbluerobot.blogspot.com/2008 ... inish.html

SO, jump on in, and start learning inkscape, it is a very powerful FREE piece of software, but there is a learning curve.
Come on back and ask any questions you may have.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Re: Beginner! Big Time!

Post by sstehman »

A year ago I was a beginner too and still am learning new tips and tricks. Some suggestions on how to learn:

Use the search feature in this forum to help find instructions on specific questions. There are many buried here.
There is a tutorial section for SCAL in the Board Index.
SVGCuts.com has tutorials on SCAL and some great files.
There a many very good tutorials on YouTube and are easily found by doing a search.
There is an Inkscape forum that is quite helpful. The link is http://inkscapecuttingdesign.com/index.php
Bookmark blogs of members as a number of them have very good tutorials on both SCAL and Inkscape.
You can bookmark topics within this forum to find them easier later.

Once you get hooked, there is so much to learn and the creativity is endless as you probably are seeing in this forum.

Have fun and welcome.
Sandy in PA